IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New One for Peter: Huawei's P9 camera.

We managed to catch a beautiful sunrise with Deliciously Ella. The #HuaweiP9’s dual Leica cameras makes taking photos in low light conditions like this a pleasure. Reinvent smartphone photography and share your sunrise pictures with us. #OO

Neato!

What's that? What about the Exif?

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Lens: EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
Focal Length: 135mm
Exposure: 1/800
F Number: f/4
ISO: 500
Camera make: Canon
Flash: Not used
Exposure Bias: -1 EV
Views: 4540

Whoops!

Cheers,
Scott.
New It's like Russian soldiers taking pictures in Eastern Ukraine.
The GPS coordinates put them where they are not supposed to be.

Nothing like the gear ratting you out! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New >snort<
:D
New Dual Leica Cameras, eh?
Now, that reads to me as if the camera module was made by Leica, right? Or, at the very very least, designed by Leica, right?

Oh. Well. About that.

"Meets Leica's highest imaging standards", you say? The dpreview.com commenters are sceptical.

fotopix2021

To have designed, engineered, developed, tested, optimised and manufactured such a sophisticated and complex digital imaging device between February and April 2016 is an achievement that is nothing short of miraculous.

I don't believe in miracles.

Having seen sample images from the Huawei P9 that were, shall we say, somewhat underwhelming, I believe Leica Camera's engineering involvement was minimal at best. As with Panasonic compact camera lenses that are branded 'Leica', the Huawei P9 might be slightly better than average - but that is all.

melgross

Ah, this doesn't clarify much. Unless they're willing to tell us what parts Leica actually engineered, it means nothing. Did Leica actually design these lenses, or did they just agree that the engineering design was ok?

How can these meet Leica's "highest imaging standards" when the lenses for these cost maybe, $5 apiece, whereas Leica's camera lenses average $3,000 apiece?

And, it turns out, it's not that great.

(interesting to note that the elderly Nokia Lumia 1020 and 808 Pureview still kill everything, IQ-wise)
Expand Edited by pwhysall July 4, 2016, 01:40:08 PM EDT
     One for Peter: Huawei's P9 camera. - (Another Scott) - (3)
         It's like Russian soldiers taking pictures in Eastern Ukraine. - (a6l6e6x)
         >snort< - (pwhysall)
         Dual Leica Cameras, eh? - (pwhysall)

Do we really have to hide from da cops in da oven, Muggsy?
79 ms