IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New They suffer along with the rest of us. :-(
J is just about as Lefty McLeftish as anyone, but she gets furious that she's earning so little interest on her savings, too.

There's too much demand for safety, which drives down interest rates. (Negative yields in Europe mean that people are willing to pay for the privilege of locking up their money for 10 years rather than being paid interest.) That means there is far too little demand in the economy for the money. People with money need to spend more, the governments needs to spend more, to drive up interest rates and put the excessive savings to work. Just trying to fix the interest on savings without fixing the underlying lack of demand won't work. (We would just end up with high interest rates in a still excessively-depressed economy.)

So another few years of low Fed Funds rates is worth it if it helps get the economy on a stronger footing for better balance of demand and supply. Driving up interest rates prematurely and damaging longer-term growth is a poor bargain.

It would be different if rates were high in the European and Asian developed economies. They've been falling in China, also too. They're telling Janet to go slow, and she seems to be listening.

Cheers,
Scott.
New buy a bar, give you something to do in the evenings :-)
always look out for number one and don't step in number two
New Tough way to make a living. Lots of competition, also too.
I don't frequent such places, but it seems like around here just plain "bar" places aren't the way to go. They either have live music (with or without the opportunity to get stand-up or sit-down food), or are also a laundromat, or are also a pool/etc. game hall, or something.

There's cut-throat competition among the live music places, and it seems like some of the local promoters run them like a cartel.

And lots and lots of restaurants serve beer, Mexican places serve margaritas, etc.

And isn't it usually the case that the only way you can make money running a bar is by having "regulars", so you're kinda promoting alcoholism? :-(

Plus, we're not really people people. ;-) And J doesn't like risk!!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Sports bars are a newer trend.
Given the mark-up, serving beer and liquor can be profitable if the volume is large enough. And the food can be just so, so.

Not my thing as a venue for anything unless it's a neighborhood group function.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New I think they're starting to go out of style around here . . .
. . but some new thing has to develop.
     DeLong: Only 1 sensible person on the FOMC? - (Another Scott) - (6)
         So, what does that do for folks who need interest income? -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
             They suffer along with the rest of us. :-( - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 buy a bar, give you something to do in the evenings :-) -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                     Tough way to make a living. Lots of competition, also too. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         Sports bars are a newer trend. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                             I think they're starting to go out of style around here . . . - (Andrew Grygus)

Sorry, you are not a winner.
148 ms