gmail's spam filter is usually pretty reliable, but now and then one gets through. Subject line "help my son":
Hi,

How are you doing? please try and keep this to yourself because i didn't want to tell anybody for now. I just want to let you know about my son's surgery operation. He has been having this chronic kidney and heart problem since without knowing it and we have traveled to China for his operation, right now he is on drip and the doctor has placed him on temporal med-care till the deposit fee of $10,000 is paid. Then the doctor said that i need to pay the money so that the operation can be commence. I don't know your financial status right now but i will appreciate what ever you can lend me with. Please kindly let me know if you can help me out with anything and i promise to refund back the money to you when am back.

Tom W. Petersen
ATP Plumbing, Ask The Professional
510-982-8807
Sent from a Yahoo account; reply would go to a similarly-named Hotmail account. I'm not aware of ever having dealt with ATP Plumbing, an actual business in the area, and if I had, they'd have been given my own Yahoo account, which is now completely clogged with commercial crap. Interestingly, the provided phone number is similar to ATP's actual number, only with two digits transposed. "i will appreciate what ever you can lend me with." I'll bet.

credulously,