IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Unless you "delete" your account.
I was forced to create one and when the next day I had over 250 email requests I went to my boss and said, "I get over 200 business email messages a day as it is, I really don't want any of this spam, can I delete my account?" He said I could. So I did. That was about six years ago. I've written to them a half dozen or so times to delete my information and they still haven't. So, I tried to log in to see if there was a setting (like the one you suggest). I couldn't (my account didn't exist), so again I contacted their support and was told that my account was no longer valid so I could not log in. As late as yesterday I got another request to "join my network."

It's like everything else on the tubes. Once you give them the data, they, not you, own it.

Edit: Looked it up, it was over six years ago I "deleted" my account, not four.
Expand Edited by mmoffitt June 14, 2016, 08:16:34 AM EDT
Expand Edited by mmoffitt June 14, 2016, 08:17:29 AM EDT
New Yup.
It's like everything else on the tubes. Once you give them they data, they, not you, own it.

And that's what Microsoft bought - the contact information, not some magical spam "technology". Of course they aren't going to give up any information. Which was also Drum's point, also too.

Cheers,
Scott.
New The contact info?
You really think that MS think that LinkedIn accounts are worth £170 each?

No, this is not about the contact info.

It's about a functional social network (400M active accounts, etc) as a defence against Facebook and (hahahaha stop laughing at the back yes I know it's funny but really) Google+.
New Re: The contact info?
The Microsoft-LinkedIn hookup will be the END of DAYS, I tell you
Now Microsoft, a convicted monopolist that distributes product marketing nagware as security updates and who has proven serially untrustworthy will own the gateway to your career.

Fan-frakking-tastic.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Paranoia, but worth thinking about...
Microsoft have shown that they are not above using malware techniques to push Windows 10. All that really remains is ransomware. Why hold a desktop to ransom, however, when you can hold someone's entire career? It would really suck if Microsoft's purchase of LinkedIn evolves, (or devolves,) into Peeple, but "for professionals", and with careers on the line.

Hmmm...

Cheers,
Scott.
     Microsoft wants to buy LinedIn. - (Another Scott) - (8)
         It's really a done deal other than the formalities. - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
             Turning off the emails is a setting. -NT - (malraux) - (5)
                 Unless you "delete" your account. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                     Yup. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         The contact info? - (pwhysall) - (2)
                             Re: The contact info? - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                 Paranoia, but worth thinking about... - (Another Scott)
         I think many of those "Join my network!" emails are from people who imported their own... - (CRConrad)

The simplest explanation is that I'm an idiot!
66 ms