IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It *should* work that way.
You'll probably have no troubles. Mac can/could be more temperamental. E.g. Ramjet:

Non-Stacked IC's: Ramjet uses a Non-stacked module for the 4GB SO-DIMM module for the MacBook. The cheaper stacked IC variety of 4GB SO-DIMM draws more power, which increases heat and decreases battery life. Ramjet ONLY uses premium non-stacked chips.

As long as your listing is correct and the new parts are:

PC2-5300, DDR2-667, 667Mhz, Latency 5-5-5, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, 1.8V, 200pin SO-DIMM

then you should be Ok. (Don't worry about the Latency stuff.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SO-DIMM#/media/File:Laptop_SODIMM_DDR_Memory_Comparison_V2.svg

"Matched pairs" are safer, of course, but it's probably not necessary.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Does the PC number matter?
--

Drew
New As long as it's close, it shouldn't matter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM#Specification_standards

* Some manufacturers label their DDR2 modules as PC2-4300, PC2-5400 or PC2-8600 instead of the respective names suggested by JEDEC. At least one manufacturer has reported this reflects successful testing at a higher-than-standard data rate[6] whilst others simply round up for the name.

The PC number is something like a data transfer rate. That's kinda advertising if it's only a slight delta from the standard.

In that Amazon description case, it's probably just a typo.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks ... someday I'll learn to put Wikipedia in my search terms
I was looking for an explanation of the terms and kept hitting sales pages.
--

Drew
     How to match RAM? - (drook) - (19)
         Do you know what Toshiba model you have? - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             It'll take higher - (drook) - (2)
                 RAM prices rise pretty steeply for stuff that's a few generations old. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     get a new hp at wallmart for that price -NT - (boxley)
         Do what Alex said - (pwhysall) - (12)
             Thirded. - (malraux)
             Prices - (drook) - (10)
                 $240?! - (pwhysall) - (9)
                     That's DDR3 stuff. He needs DDR2. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                         2nd link is DDR2. Samsung modules for £24. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             Amazon mixes up stuff all the time. That's a DDR3 part. - (Another Scott)
                         So we're back to ... how do I know it's compatible? - (drook) - (5)
                             It *should* work that way. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 Does the PC number matter? - (drook) - (2)
                                     As long as it's close, it shouldn't matter. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         Thanks ... someday I'll learn to put Wikipedia in my search terms - (drook)
                             Well, to fit mechanically you need SoDIMM (i.e. small outline) modules. - (a6l6e6x)
         Oddly... - (scoenye) - (1)
             Already ordered, will check what's on the chips when I install it -NT - (drook)

My, we are a grumpy bastard.
52 ms