IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New $240?!
Fuck off. Fuck right off. Fuck. Right. The. Fuck. Off.

Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ddr3-4gb-sodimm/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Addr3%204gb%20sodimm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ddr2+4gb+sodimm&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Addr2+4gb+sodimm

One of those is going to work for you.

You can go to 8GB for less than thirty or forty quid. OK, that's about 50-70 of your inferior colonial "dollars", but whev.

And that's Amazon. Not the cheapest place on the internet.
Expand Edited by pwhysall May 11, 2016, 03:31:15 PM EDT
New That's DDR3 stuff. He needs DDR2.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ddr2+8+gb+sodimm&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Addr2+8+gb+sodimm

Cheapest I see there is $100, and yes, Crucial wants $200+.

Old memory gets spendy if you wait too long.

Cheers,
Scott.
New 2nd link is DDR2. Samsung modules for £24.
But yeah, old memory is disproportionately expensive.

By comparison, a 32GB kit for my desktop is £110.

Hmm. :D
Expand Edited by pwhysall May 11, 2016, 03:47:36 PM EDT
New Amazon mixes up stuff all the time. That's a DDR3 part.
New So we're back to ... how do I know it's compatible?
I'm assuming as long as it's DDR2-667 it will match what I have, and any matched pair of DDR2 will work?
--

Drew
New It *should* work that way.
You'll probably have no troubles. Mac can/could be more temperamental. E.g. Ramjet:

Non-Stacked IC's: Ramjet uses a Non-stacked module for the 4GB SO-DIMM module for the MacBook. The cheaper stacked IC variety of 4GB SO-DIMM draws more power, which increases heat and decreases battery life. Ramjet ONLY uses premium non-stacked chips.

As long as your listing is correct and the new parts are:

PC2-5300, DDR2-667, 667Mhz, Latency 5-5-5, Non-ECC, Unbuffered, 1.8V, 200pin SO-DIMM

then you should be Ok. (Don't worry about the Latency stuff.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SO-DIMM#/media/File:Laptop_SODIMM_DDR_Memory_Comparison_V2.svg

"Matched pairs" are safer, of course, but it's probably not necessary.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Does the PC number matter?
--

Drew
New As long as it's close, it shouldn't matter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM#Specification_standards

* Some manufacturers label their DDR2 modules as PC2-4300, PC2-5400 or PC2-8600 instead of the respective names suggested by JEDEC. At least one manufacturer has reported this reflects successful testing at a higher-than-standard data rate[6] whilst others simply round up for the name.

The PC number is something like a data transfer rate. That's kinda advertising if it's only a slight delta from the standard.

In that Amazon description case, it's probably just a typo.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks ... someday I'll learn to put Wikipedia in my search terms
I was looking for an explanation of the terms and kept hitting sales pages.
--

Drew
New Well, to fit mechanically you need SoDIMM (i.e. small outline) modules.
And again mechanically you probably have 200 pin modules so avoid the 240 pin module used on desktops. Other than that, you should be OK.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     How to match RAM? - (drook) - (19)
         Do you know what Toshiba model you have? - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             It'll take higher - (drook) - (2)
                 RAM prices rise pretty steeply for stuff that's a few generations old. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     get a new hp at wallmart for that price -NT - (boxley)
         Do what Alex said - (pwhysall) - (12)
             Thirded. - (malraux)
             Prices - (drook) - (10)
                 $240?! - (pwhysall) - (9)
                     That's DDR3 stuff. He needs DDR2. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                         2nd link is DDR2. Samsung modules for £24. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             Amazon mixes up stuff all the time. That's a DDR3 part. - (Another Scott)
                         So we're back to ... how do I know it's compatible? - (drook) - (5)
                             It *should* work that way. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                 Does the PC number matter? - (drook) - (2)
                                     As long as it's close, it shouldn't matter. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         Thanks ... someday I'll learn to put Wikipedia in my search terms - (drook)
                             Well, to fit mechanically you need SoDIMM (i.e. small outline) modules. - (a6l6e6x)
         Oddly... - (scoenye) - (1)
             Already ordered, will check what's on the chips when I install it -NT - (drook)

Come inside!
63 ms