IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New We don't catchphrase so much
If at all, tbh. Even Boris Johnson, someone you'd expect to have a motto or catchphrase, and whose ability as an ambassador and salesman for London has far outstripped his ability as mayor, doesn't have any that I can think of.

You have to remember that unlike certain elements of the American electorate, we in the UK (with the possible exception of a subset of UKIP voters, who are subscribers to the cult of Saint Nigel de Farage) do not revere our politicians or indeed our politics.

We do more of this sort of thing:

https://twitter.com/corbynjokes/status/679682048794177537
Expand Edited by pwhysall May 6, 2016, 01:37:12 PM EDT
New LOL!
New "I'm all right, Jack!"
But, maybe it's dated.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Actually, there's something else.
We judge our politicos by how they handle stuff like eating and drinking. "What fresh madness is this?", I hear you cry.

Pictures. Let me show you them. Then you will understand.

First, we have the Conservative Mayoral candidate for London, Zac Goldsmith (at left, with Boris Johnson):

One response to this:

https://twitter.com/TechnicallyRon/status/725986415155228672

And then we have the leader of the beleaguered Conservatives in Scotland, Ruth Davidson:

It goes without saying that the effete twat who can't even hold a pint properly got well and truly paggered in the mayoral election, losing to Sadiq Khan.

It also goes without saying that the woman who clearly enjoys a pint had a very good night at the polls, pushing Labour into third place in the Scottish parliamentary elections.

The mother of all "can't handle simple sustenance and therefore must not be elected" gaffes belongs, of course, to Ed Miliband who couldn't eat a bacon sandwich without making everyone around him feel nauseous:

Well, it was that or carving your election pledges onto a nine-foot stone ed-ifice. Yes, the press called it the Ed Stone:

(Cliff Notes version: Under what can be loosely described, in technical terms, his "leadership", Labour lost the General Election, being utterly crushed. This set in train the events that would culminate in Jeremy Corbyn's leadership of the party, and a likely Conservative victory in the General Election of 2020. By all accounts Miliband was a micromanager who would not delegate anything, but by the same token was crippled by indecision and a desire for consensus; unsurprisingly, "getting shit done" wasn't something that happened. Here is a long, engaging account of what happened in Labour's 2015 GE campaign)
Expand Edited by pwhysall May 7, 2016, 04:44:11 AM EDT
Expand Edited by pwhysall May 7, 2016, 04:44:36 AM EDT
Expand Edited by pwhysall May 7, 2016, 04:50:13 AM EDT
New Stuff like that happens here, too.
Kasich:

Michele Bachmann:

Hillary:

Obama:

It's a shame how much this stuff matters when life and death and the future of the country is on the line. :-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New Don't forget The Donald eating pizza with a knife and fork
--

Drew
New Hey, I use a fork too. Don't be picking on him about that.
These cultural traditions that "American politicians have to eat our food the same way we do" are so silly.

Sure, don't insult your hosts, but good grief.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who would never make it as a politician for this and other reasons.)
New Guess I'll take a moment and toss in some Canadian bad boys:
I'm going to come back and add commentary later; there's a major music festival in my city today and I am doing sound work until two am. Gonna be a long one.

If you're interested, the fest is called Homegrown, and it's a city wide musical benefit for Joe's MILL.

Idle question for pwhysall - (rcareaga) - (8)
         We don't catchphrase so much - (pwhysall) - (7)
             LOL! -NT - (Another Scott)
             "I'm all right, Jack!" - (a6l6e6x)
             Actually, there's something else. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                 Stuff like that happens here, too. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Don't forget The Donald eating pizza with a knife and fork -NT - (drook) - (1)
                         Hey, I use a fork too. Don't be picking on him about that. - (Another Scott)
                 Guess I'll take a moment and toss in some Canadian bad boys: - (jake123)

dude...?
86 ms