IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Darwin's genius
The field of scholarship loosely known as "the history of ideas" has engaged my lively interest these forty years and more. A book I've returned to more than once during this period is The Death of Adam (John C. Greene, Iowa State University Press, 1959), which examines the tributaries of thought that converged from various fields—history, astronomy, botany and zoology, geology, and a raft of other disciplines—into the mighty current that Darwin navigated, and which has swept all previous contending models away. It's an accessible study, and I'm pleased to see that after an interval out of print, it had a new edition in 2007. Regarding the biological mechanisms of natural selection itself, there have obviously been vast advanced in the six decades since the book was written, but its focus is on the scholarly and philosophical climate in and from which both On the Origin of Species and the spirited (heh-heh) opposition to it emerged, and in this respect it has aged very well. Available on the innertubes for a few dollars, and well worth the read for them as have an interest in such things.

cordially,
New Thanks for the pointer. Appreciated.
     Who Will Debunk The Debunkers? - (malraux) - (12)
         You really should include the *actual* truth, don't you think? -NT - (drook) - (4)
             Nope - (malraux) - (3)
                 Now I'm wondering about carrots and vision -NT - (drook) - (2)
                     Uhh. Cover story for British radar? - (crazy) - (1)
                         Not saying it is, but wondering -NT - (drook)
         "Supermyth" - whew. - (Another Scott) - (6)
             yeah, still waiting for the hudson to be 20ft up the walls of harlem by 2010 -NT - (boxley) - (3)
                 Re: yeah, still waiting for the hudson to be 20ft up the walls of harlem by 2010 - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     when asked years later hansen stood by his prediction - (boxley)
                     Belated riposte (due to accumulated info re the Drumpfster's manifest psychoses) - (Ashton)
             Darwin's genius - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 Thanks for the pointer. Appreciated. -NT - (Another Scott)

This was a random error that most likely occurred when a ray of cosmic radiation hit a memory chip at just the right angle resulting in a bit changing from a 0 to a 1.
59 ms