IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Need advice on dual lan & printer access
PROBLEM BRIEF SUMMARY:
===========+++++==
2 LANS, 1 & 2. 1 has a router to Internet & a printer & Wi-Fi clients. 2 is a static network that has one gateway to LAN 1.

How do I set up route table on LAN 2 machines to allow the computers on LAN 2 (other than the gateway machine which access ok) to access the Printer & also to share files with any Wi_fi clients who connect to LAN 1 (which uses DHCP for all but the print server on it).

PROBLEM IN DETAIL:
==============

At home I have 2 Lans, each use a diff set of ip address. One Lan (192.168.0.*) connects to the Internet via my ISP on a DSL connection allocated by DHCP. This internet DSL connection is through a Buffalo AirStation Wi-Fi router (192.168.0.1) which also has 4 UTP ports. The Buffalo is setup to allocate ip addresses using DHCP for a block of 16 addresses to any client trying to attach but also has one device with a fixed ip adress of 192.168.0.99 which is a printer server. This allows all our family notebooks & PDAs to connect & print using Wi-Fi.

The 2nd LAN (192.10.200.*) is an existing 8-port UTP hub with 3 Win based & 1 Linux based, servers using fixed ip addresses 192.10.200.1 to 4 - these servers are used for network experiments (Web & App & WebSvcs Servers). I also want to access the printer 192.168.0.99 to print on and this works fine from 192.10.200.1 which has a second ethernet card & UTP cable to the 1st LAN.

So, to restate, machine 192.10.200.1 on LAN 2 has a 2nd ethernet card that connects to the Buffalo AirStation via one of its 4 UTP ports and gets its ip address from the buffalo using DHCP, which is usually 192.168.0.2. This gateway machine is also my primary Internet client machine & this works well. It can access the Internet thru the 192.168.0.2 address (or whatever gets allocated by the Buffalo DHCP) and can see and print to the printer on 192.168.0.99.

My problem is how to get the other computers on LAN 2 (192.10.200.2 thru 4) to be able to print to the printer server at 192.168.0.99. The 1st thing I have done is to set 192.10.200.1 as the gateway for the others (192.10.200.2 thru 4). But I can't seem to come up with an add route command for Windows2000 that will allow them to access 192.168.0.99 thru 192.10.200.1 - the traffic all seems to go on to the Internet rather than stop at 192.168.0.99 on 1st LAN. Obviously I need a route add command that tells the machines on 2nd LAN, that reaching 192.168.0.99 is only one hop via gateway machine 192.10.200.1 and I also need to tell the printer server (192.168.0.99) how to get back to the machines 192.10.200.2 thru 4.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Am sure it is merely a question of the correct route commands.

Cheers

Doug Marker

New Obvious answer....
Use the Linux machine. Setting a static route is the easiest way with this few machines. Put a second NIC in the Linux boxen and setup routing using zebra or routed(rowt'd).

Linux can handle that and more... I should probably stop here and not sat more as I dunno if you want to hear the way I'd do it...

Course you'd end up with one LAN and DHCP 'andled by the Linux machine with tons of DHCP options enabled... plus samba for Winbloze and netatalk for those of you running MACs and of course NFSv4 (No File Security v4) for *NIX(OSX included) machines.

greg, curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
New Combination of things.
Firstly, 192.10.200.0/24 is, AFAIK, a registered Internet address. You should change that subnet to 192.168.200.0/24.

Secondly, the box on both LANs should automatically route between the two LANs. There should be no need to add extra routing to any box except those that need to connect to something on LAN2. The printer might be an exception there, but I'm not sure.

Thirdly, for NBT to route, you need a WINS server. Samba can do this automatically for you, you just have to flip the switch, so to speak. You also have to tell the PCs on LAN2 that the gateway machine is also the WINS server.

Finally, if you still need to fiddle with the routing in Windows 2000, type route on a command line for some assistance. Windows' routing is not quite as simple as routing in Linux, but it's not impossible. It basically does daft things like route through the loopback or some strange thing, so ignore that and it makes sense.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New Re: Tks for info re the real ip

We used to use that id back at IBM for internal lans back in the 1980s. Thought it was still a no public addr.

Re win2k, reason I posted here was after bashing my head on a wall trying to get route to make sense on the win2k machines.

Perhaps Greg's advice re using the Linux box to route is the best. Linux routing is easier to get working.

The Buffalo AirStation wi-fi lan is a nice little box to use - is made by MELCO (Mitsubishi Electric Coy) an guessing ti runs Linux (if not then it must be bsd Unix). Is configured thru web pages. Comes out of the box with a preset ip but one can change just about ecery aspect of its routing & filtering & dhcp allocations etc:. It will support up to 254 devices so the model I have that also has 4 utp ports can be cascaded to quite a size.

Anyway, thanks both of you for the pointers

Cheers

Doug

Need advice on dual lan & printer access - (dmarker2) - (3)
         Obvious answer.... - (folkert)
         Combination of things. - (static) - (1)
             Re: Tks for info re the real ip - (dmarker2)

Sir, my point must have hit home, because your ego is leaking badly.
49 ms