IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You have no idea the number of combinations possible
Does this card link to one or multiple accounts?

Is any of those accounts debit? Global debit? (There's a difference.)

What authorization methods does the card's issuing bank support? For each account?

What authorization methods does the merchant's bank support?

Do those methods depend on the value of the transaction? Before or after tax? Before or after currency conversion?

Speaking of currency conversion ... no, actually let's not.

And if the chip read fails - rare, yes, but to certify the platform you have to develop, test and demonstrate the fallback mode - what are the answers to all those questions when swiping? Are the answers different when in fallback mode than when using an older card reader that doesn't support chip yet?

The implementation guides for this stuff run 400+ pages, and each party has their own guide: the merchant's bank, the payment processor, the card reader manufacturer. And the guides are updated twice a year, with changelogs each of the last few updates running 4-5 pages single spaced.

It would have been faster, cheaper and more secure to simplify the options, but no one wanted to give up their particular way of doing things, so we implemented all of them.
--

Drew
New USA! USA! USA!! :-/
New " if the chip read fails - rare," the readers however fail a lot
so you swipe the card but the CC company knows that retailer uses a chip so fails to authorize the purchase. Actually I am starting to carry around a checkbook lately.
always look out for number one and don't step in number two
New And your check has all the information needed to access your checking account with a forgery.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New so do most of my credit cards, happened twice last year.
New Unpossible!
And it's not that the bank knows the retailer uses chip. It's that the device knows the card has a chip.

If the magstripe indicates that the card has a chip, the reader must have already implemented the three tries before fallback is authorized, and logged each failure. The reader either sends a message saying, "Authorize this chip" or "Authorize this magstripe in fallback mode".

IOW if your system is set up right, and the device has a hardware failure that causes it to not just fail to read the chip but fail to register that it's even been inserted, it should never allow you to even attempt a swipe.

Defense-in-depth suggests that the bank should also enforce this, but what exactly would you send in the case of a failed read?

Gah! Stop making me think about this!
--

Drew
New unable to read card several times, then swipe and decline about 1/3 of the readers fail at walmart
New For the past year or two, I've been using cash 99% of the time.
New Luddite! :)
Think of the kickback you could have gotten. At least 1%.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     Credit card skimmer installed in 3 seconds - (malraux) - (21)
         Very smooth! - (a6l6e6x) - (14)
             I use my phone wherever possible - (pwhysall) - (13)
                 My CC went chip a few weeks ago. - (Another Scott) - (10)
                     You have no idea the number of combinations possible - (drook) - (8)
                         USA! USA! USA!! :-/ -NT - (Another Scott)
                         " if the chip read fails - rare," the readers however fail a lot - (boxley) - (6)
                             And your check has all the information needed to access your checking account with a forgery. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                 so do most of my credit cards, happened twice last year. -NT - (boxley)
                             Unpossible! - (drook) - (1)
                                 unable to read card several times, then swipe and decline about 1/3 of the readers fail at walmart -NT - (boxley)
                             For the past year or two, I've been using cash 99% of the time. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 Luddite! :) - (a6l6e6x)
                     Technically, it is chip + signature - (scoenye)
                 Is this you? - (drook) - (1)
                     not really - (pwhysall)
         Aaannnndddd... now a chip card skimmer. - (malraux) - (5)
             I can't wait until we have to use 15 digit pins with 5 special characters.... -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 :-D -NT - (malraux)
                 to be changed every 60 days with a diff of 6 -NT - (boxley)
             TIME SINK WARNING! -NT - (drook)
             Well. damn! - (a6l6e6x)

Holy cran.
180 ms