IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New maybe I am missing something but when the battery is done you chuck it, that costs as well
always look out for number one and don't step in number two
New Eneloops are rechargeable
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Yeah, but they don't last forever. Neither do locomotives though. :-)
New can they get recharged by running them down a hill? If not what is the cost of the recharge?
always look out for number one and don't step in number two
New The whole point is to store solar power, not to just generate power from locomotives.
Regenerative braking isn't hugely efficient:

Conclusions?

For one, we can document that electric regenerative brake systems are able to recover 55% of the vehicle's kinetic energy. I suspect it would be easy to get over 70% if we changed the gearing to improve efficiency.

The real lesson is that if you want to recover more total energy, start by being more efficient in translating the electric energy into kinetic energy.
That is where the biggest losses are.

TANSTAAFL. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Probably inefficient because . . .
. . the systems are designed primarily for braking, not for power generation. Efficiency of electric motors and generators can be in the 90% range.
     How to store solar power - (drook) - (18)
         Neat! -NT - (mmoffitt)
         I don't know about that. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
             I'm guessing they leave the rocks loaded -NT - (drook) - (2)
                 Unless they want to scale up capacity. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     I assume they mean leave the entire train, then go back down for another - (drook)
         TANSTAAFL. - (Another Scott) - (12)
             "and it takes so much energy to move the necessary mass" - (drook) - (11)
                 The key benefits are simplicity and cost - (malraux) - (10)
                     500K AA batteries ... that's a useful metric :-/ -NT - (drook)
                     Dunno. I'm skeptical of things like this. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                         The other big benefit - (drook)
                         maybe I am missing something but when the battery is done you chuck it, that costs as well -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                             Eneloops are rechargeable -NT - (malraux) - (4)
                                 Yeah, but they don't last forever. Neither do locomotives though. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                 can they get recharged by running them down a hill? If not what is the cost of the recharge? -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                                     The whole point is to store solar power, not to just generate power from locomotives. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         Probably inefficient because . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     Yeah, fill the damned things with sand . . . - (Andrew Grygus)

I like it warm and pink, with the whip-marks still on it.
240 ms