IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I've given them plenty
And in return, I've been making a decent living off their flagship products (the coin for which, as I never tire of repeating, comes this century from my threadbare pockets and not BDS' bulging coffers) since 1987, and while I used PageMaker from iterations 2 through 6, I readily acknowledge that InDesign was from the first a notably superior product. But I simply detest the subscription model they're pushing (let your subscription lapse? Say goodbye to your ability to work with any of your existing files. No thank you), and hope to limp along on CS5 until my projected retirement in another twenty months..

cordially,
New Beware other dirty tricks
CS5 contains Acrobat 9, correct?

We have a separate Acrobat 9 Pro license. It can no longer be (re)installed because Adobe turned off/changed the EULA text(!) server and the installer crashes.
New Acrobat (full product) is losing its lustre
Now that Word 2016 (on Windows, at least) makes a very creditable effort of loading and converting PDF files.

Acrobat still obviously has oodles of features that pro users will want, but I reckon there's a long, long tail of people who just need to go "PDF->DOCX" without any faffing about.
New For reading and printing on Winders, SumatraPDF is my choice.
It works very, very well and is nice and fast.

Unfortunately, we use lots of PDF forms at work and I seem to have to use Acrobat for that - I haven't found anything else that lets me fill out PDF forms. I hate it because it is so slow and so horrible to work with.

:-/

PDF to DOC has lots of reasonable tools, but AFAIK, they don't retain the form-like functionality. And even if they do and work reliably (do they??), having to do PDF to DOC to PDF seems broken.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Yeah, for complex cases you still need proper software
But the basic "I need to get this PDF, do a few light edits, and then send it on" case, which is incredibly common, is totally covered by Word 2016.

Other wordprocessors, which may or may not have PDF-reading and export abilities, are available.
New OTOH
The sub model gives me two advantages:

1. I would never have come up with the £600-odd that PS costs
2. I would never have come up with the £200-odd that PS costs to upgrade

For £8/mo I get PS CC, LR and Portfolio.

If I let my sub lapse, I have about a month or so grace before everything stops working.

The sub model is evil but at the same time it means I can use PS CC.

As for your technical tribulations, I can only commiserate at the same time that I observe that you're at least 4 versions behind (CS6, CC, CC2014, CC2015). CS5 is six years old now. For context, that makes it roughly contemporary with OS X 10.7, which received its last release (10.7.5) in October 2012.

If you need a perpetual licence for a PS product that's got some semblance of support, the jump to CS6 is the one you need to make.
New Funny definition of perpetual, that
We did move on. I brought it up as Rand mentioned using CS5.

The only reason we have it is to futz with the occasional PDF form. The cost of the subscription is not worth it for the amount of use.
New CS6 is a perpetual licence
You have to ring Adobe to buy it, though.
New Yup, just like that 9 Pro license was.
New I've got a standalone 9 Pro licence on my work laptop right now
Was installed just the other week.
New Our derailment happened about a year ago.
     Adobe and El Capitan - (rcareaga) - (13)
         Other than using "free" Reader, I haven't given them money since PageMaker. - (a6l6e6x) - (11)
             I've given them plenty - (rcareaga) - (10)
                 Beware other dirty tricks - (scoenye) - (3)
                     Acrobat (full product) is losing its lustre - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         For reading and printing on Winders, SumatraPDF is my choice. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Yeah, for complex cases you still need proper software - (pwhysall)
                 OTOH - (pwhysall) - (5)
                     Funny definition of perpetual, that - (scoenye) - (4)
                         CS6 is a perpetual licence - (pwhysall) - (3)
                             Yup, just like that 9 Pro license was. -NT - (scoenye) - (2)
                                 I've got a standalone 9 Pro licence on my work laptop right now - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                     Our derailment happened about a year ago. -NT - (scoenye)
         What a nightmare. - (Another Scott)

As you wish.
97 ms