IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I gave my 2009 13" MBP away to my grandson.
And it was upgraded to 8 GB memory and SSD drive.

So now I'm on MacBook Pro (16 GB memory, Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014). Nice screen, but only barely noticeably spiffier. Not that I miss it, surprisingly there is no CD/DVD drive on this sucker.

For now, I wouldn't go for a machine w/o USB ports. Got to have that for Time Machine backups and a perpetually plugged in FitBit bluetooth adapter for my Zip.

But, yeah, Apple is pushing us to iCloud and their vision of the future.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New the optics
Over the past thirty years I've invested heavily in optical media. I have about a thousand CDs and somewhat over half that number of DVDs (the Criterion Collection probably has a picture of me in its boardroom). I've got plenty of software on platters and many, many discs of archives. It would be a considerable nuisance migrating this stuff to other substrates. I cherish my drives: keep a couple boxed in reserve.

Surely that "Zip" reference in your post is not to that hot storage technology from twenty years ago, is it?

cordially,
New Nah, Zip is the FitBit Zip.
Like so:

FitBit Zip

It's a fancy bluetooth enabled pedometer and connected to the FitBit infrastructure:

My FitBit page.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     What we've lost - (rcareaga) - (8)
         I gave my 2009 13" MBP away to my grandson. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             the optics - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 Nah, Zip is the FitBit Zip. - (a6l6e6x)
         That's really interesting. - (static) - (1)
             They are good machines. - (Another Scott)
         What we've lost ... is ominous for being so nakedly Machiavellian. - (Ashton) - (2)
             latest not always greatest - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 External SSD boot disk on your work iMac(s)? - (Another Scott)

Well, from then on, we had a whale of a time. I took her to dinner, I took her to dance. I bought her a bouquet of flounders. And then I went home with her. And what did I get for my trouble? A case of the clams.
81 ms