IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What we've lost
Last of the breed: the MD101LL/A. Apple still makes and sells, and that there is still demand for, a notebook unchanged since its introduction in 2012.
As we’ve progressed toward thinner, lighter, more integrated Macs, we’ve paid dearly in upgradeability, versatility, and value. There are many Macs to choose from today, but in some ways, we have less choice than ever. The 101 represents the world we’re leaving behind, and our progress hasn’t all been positive.
I, too, have reservations about the direction Mac hardware has taken in recent years, and while I've been intermittently tempted to acquire one of the new 27" Retina iMacs, I intend to hang onto my 2009 13" MBP for as long as it lasts, which will likely be a good while longer now that its storage is solid state. The thing's a workhorse, ramped up to 8GB RAM (I could double that at need), with Firewire—admittedly no longer a player, but I still have a few such drives in use—two USB ports (2.0, but I can live with that), an SD card reader, which occasionally comes in handy, and a MagSafe power coupler, a wonderful technology apparently now discountenanced by Apple. It still does everything I ever asked of it after almost seven years: I wonder whether the same will be said of this year's models in 2023?

cordially,
New I gave my 2009 13" MBP away to my grandson.
And it was upgraded to 8 GB memory and SSD drive.

So now I'm on MacBook Pro (16 GB memory, Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014). Nice screen, but only barely noticeably spiffier. Not that I miss it, surprisingly there is no CD/DVD drive on this sucker.

For now, I wouldn't go for a machine w/o USB ports. Got to have that for Time Machine backups and a perpetually plugged in FitBit bluetooth adapter for my Zip.

But, yeah, Apple is pushing us to iCloud and their vision of the future.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New the optics
Over the past thirty years I've invested heavily in optical media. I have about a thousand CDs and somewhat over half that number of DVDs (the Criterion Collection probably has a picture of me in its boardroom). I've got plenty of software on platters and many, many discs of archives. It would be a considerable nuisance migrating this stuff to other substrates. I cherish my drives: keep a couple boxed in reserve.

Surely that "Zip" reference in your post is not to that hot storage technology from twenty years ago, is it?

cordially,
New Nah, Zip is the FitBit Zip.
Like so:

FitBit Zip

It's a fancy bluetooth enabled pedometer and connected to the FitBit infrastructure:

My FitBit page.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New That's really interesting.
If I was in the market for something new that I could probably Linux-ify, that would now be a consideration.

As the article says, the latest and greatest isn't always what everyone actually wants.

Wade.
New They are good machines.
J has two of them (a few years apart).

They have changed a little over time. If that matters (and it probably does for modern OSes), on should check:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-unibody-faq/differences-between-macbook-pro-mid-2012-late-2011.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/macbook-pro-unibody-faq/

Cheers,
Scott.
New What we've lost ... is ominous for being so nakedly Machiavellian.
Trust? (aka Sincerity is All; once you can fake that..) W.T.F. new steps to hasten artificial obsolescence are mapped out?
There is no Need-for (nor ROI) the patent silliness of iMac "thinness": it is a fucking DESKTOP!

With (next) all the guts-on-one-mobo then, IF you pay the fare for 1+2=3 years: how many of us geese will happily write-off the whole cost (inflated by paid 2 yr. extension) when it dies a few weeks into year 4? Also too, scratch the famous resale value: death by 'WIndows 3.11' methodology: OSXI-the Stuxnet Variations.

So unless a %significant of previous acolytes manage some demonstrations of solidarity tantamount to a boycott threat?
personally I'd Love a shootout at the Not-OK Corral, but those who make a living bit-by-bitly may feel that they have no choice but to suck-up this and the next pedestrian-grade Nastiness (surely all the B.O.D. hog-in-trough folk believe they have us all by-the-short-hair.)

Of course too, just one more sleazy betrayal will be buried amidst dozens of truly lethal ones..
(As Sundance is mentioning that he can't swim ... he hears the riposte: Hell, the fall willl probably kill ya!)

Have been recently reminded that, the density of Tungsten is modest, compared with the worst of human grey-cells.
So then: never mind (was that Roseanne Roseanna-danna?)
New latest not always greatest
My twin 24" iMacs are each eight years old, and they answer my needs in every particular save RAM, which is capped at a level preposterously low by current standards (both, at least, have been upgraded from the niggardly portion of RAM that figured in their original configurations). The lower-end of the current iMac lineup can't even be upgraded, not by the user, not by Apple, not by God: you'd better be prepared to live with the specs of the machine as ordered and delivered.

If the machine at BDS will slog along for another twenty months without its hard disk* expiring in the traces, and given the faltering demand for my work product, I will use it to the end of my career and take it home** late next year. If it does crap out on me much*** before 10/17, I'd probably replace it with a 27" iMac w/SSD and a hefty dollop of memory.

Macs have had a good long run these latter years: 'twas not always thus, but most of the past decade's machines since the Great Processor Shift have held their value and functionality for a good long time. Perhaps (or would it be cynical to speculate?) this has not escaped the notice of the beancounters at Infinity Loop.

cordially,

*Yes, this could be replaced with a more durable SSD of equal capacity, but I have heard it said that in many instances the iMac display is never the same once the case has been cracked. Certainly my home machine, the hard disk of which failed under its previous owner, bears subtle but ugly yellow blotches on its screen, apparently a consequence of invasive surgery.

**I am accumulating an embarrassingly large inventory of mothballed Macintoshes at home in addition to the six that are in daily or occasional use there.

***Depends how long before quitting time this catastrophe occurs. If it's a matter of a few months, I could run my remaining functions off the MBP—certainly I wouldn't drop a couple of grand on a new machine with fewer than four months remaining before I'm unchained from the oar.
New External SSD boot disk on your work iMac(s)?
It won't as fast as a SSD on the internal interface, but then again it might be faster than the 8 year old internal HD.

http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,1735583,1735678 has some back and forth about the advantages and disadvantages.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Scott.
     What we've lost - (rcareaga) - (8)
         I gave my 2009 13" MBP away to my grandson. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             the optics - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 Nah, Zip is the FitBit Zip. - (a6l6e6x)
         That's really interesting. - (static) - (1)
             They are good machines. - (Another Scott)
         What we've lost ... is ominous for being so nakedly Machiavellian. - (Ashton) - (2)
             latest not always greatest - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 External SSD boot disk on your work iMac(s)? - (Another Scott)

Resistance is useless. You will assimilate us.
122 ms