IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New a review of the latest star wars, think I will wait for cable
Watching "The Force Awakens," I felt as though I was being shown a trailer for the next four movies in the series. Except that trailers aren't normally two hours long and you don't have to pay $12.50 to see them.
http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-star-wars-the-force-awakens-stinks-20151226-column.html
always look out for number one and don't step in number two
New It's a BS review
All of the professional critics have their undies in a bunch that Disney didn't screw the meatloaf with the film. Yes, There Be Merchandising Here. Who is surprised at this? But it's worth seeing in the theater.

It's a very good film, definitely a child of the first 3 films with a side of "the second trilogy might as well not have happened", interesting characters (the leads are a woman and a black guy so racists and misogynists are pissed, waahhh), no Jar Jar and nothing like it, and lots of excellent practical effects instead of CGI. The story definitely quotes A New Hope quite liberally, but I didn't have a problem with it. Abrams and Disney put their hats in the ring in a very definite manner, so good on them.

The 20 person group I saw the film with loved it. Loved it. A full round of applause after the film finished and people were chattering excitedly about what they had just seen. There was no point in the film when I felt the need to look at my watch and the 2.5 hours was over before I knew it.

Great action, great fan service, no embarrassing dialog (well, embarrassing to Lucas I suppose -- dude, this is how it's done). There's a realistic love interest. The Big Bad is actually a real person with real feelings. Plenty of humor, plenty of pathos; in other words a great space opera.

There is one goofy major plot point, but in the end it doesn't have that great of an effect on the movie and the characters actually make fun of it in the film. It's not a perfect film: there are unexplored plot points, the aforementioned goofy plot point, and some portions that seemed rushed mean that it's not the best film it could have been. Additionally, Williams' score somewhat vanished into the background because Abrams' fast pacing never really gives it a chance to shine, unlike Lucas' long set pieces.

I may go see it in the theater a second time. The visuals would be wasted on a small screen.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Going to try to see it in the theater
My mother-in-law somehow got a screener DVD from a friend, thought all her grandkids would love it. Less than 5 minutes into it I bailed. I couldn't see what was going on.
--

Drew
New Thanks.
Dunno when or if we'll see it (we see maybe one movie a year - we generally hate the whole "theater experience" these days), but it sounds like Disney and JJ at least tried to do a good job with it.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I think they did.
Also, there's a new theater near us that allows people to reserve seats ahead of time online without a ticket fee. No general seating. I can finally show up 5 minutes before the film, miss the ads, and not feel the angst of getting a crappy seat. The chairs are overstuffed recliners as well.
Regards,
-scott
New Reviewer obviously doesn't appreciate a "Cowboys and Indians in Space!" move geared for 6 year olds.
New like cowboys and aliens? straight to cable :-)
always look out for number one and don't step in number two
New Entertainment doesn't have to be deep literature
Too many critics can't figure this out.
Regards,
-scott
New It his all the right tropes without overdoing it.
Like Scott said, it's not perfect, but it's close. In a way, it's like quality fanfic done right with lots of love.

Wade.
     a review of the latest star wars, think I will wait for cable - (boxley) - (8)
         It's a BS review - (malraux) - (3)
             Going to try to see it in the theater - (drook)
             Thanks. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 I think they did. - (malraux)
         Reviewer obviously doesn't appreciate a "Cowboys and Indians in Space!" move geared for 6 year olds. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
             like cowboys and aliens? straight to cable :-) -NT - (boxley)
             Entertainment doesn't have to be deep literature - (malraux)
         It his all the right tropes without overdoing it. - (static)

This random post brought to you by the letters A, Q, and Peter.
63 ms