IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: step 2 seems too short a period making for runny yolks?
No, they were perfectly set all they way through, and with no trace of the green color on yolks that have been boiled too long. Texture of the whites is also very good.

The only more advanced method is by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt (in The Food Lab), but it has the additional objective of making difficult eggs easily peelable (some free range farm fresh eggs are very difficult to peel). He shocks the eggs by dropping them into rapidly boiling water for 30 seconds, then adds ice cubes and waits for it to come back to a boil. He then finishes at a measured 190°F for 11 minutes. I don't have sufficient problem with peeling to bother with such complexity.

He does totally agree with me that the only way to shell eggs is to have them too hot to handle and peel them with the help of cold running water, over a strainer to catch the shells.
New Yes on peeling them hot
After I boil a batch, I drain and refill the pot with cold water. I keep a second smaller pot to the side with hot water. Before peeling, each egg goes into the hot water for as long as it takes me to peel the one before.

I suspect the heat both softens the membrane, and enlarges the shell, pulling it away from the white.
--

Drew
     Made pickled eggs yesterday. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
         step 2 seems too short a period making for runny yolks? - (boxley) - (2)
             Re: step 2 seems too short a period making for runny yolks? - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Yes on peeling them hot - (drook)

We could go on a quest!
43 ms