IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No hat...
I just don't use my phone very much, and I don't want to have to depend on it as a wallet yet. I would want to lock it down much more before using it for payments.

Yeah, we're behind the times. Film at 11. :-/

Maybe on my next phone (maybe mid-2016?), but we'll see. There's lots of details to consider....

Cheers,
Scott.
New Carriers? Seriously?
Man, Google sold its users down the river when it did that deal with the devil.

The decision by Apple to tell the carriers to go fuck themselves when it comes to software updates and capabilities looks increasingly prescient.
New Also, the article is very US-centric
That mag-swipe thing the Samsung phones do is completely redundant in Yoo Rop.

Over here, it'll be NFC or GTFO within a couple of years.

And as above, what the shitting fuck have the carriers got to do with whether you can Samsung Pay or not? Rhetorical question - I know the answer :-)
Expand Edited by pwhysall Nov. 20, 2015, 04:01:11 AM EST
New How secure is secure enough?
My phone is fully encrypted and is secured by a 6-digit PIN and my fingerprints.

What level of security do you have in mind?
New More than what I've got...
I don't even have a lock set up on mine yet. Just haven't done it.

(I don't use it for work, etc. My Google accounts are locked down.)

Yeah, it has nothing to do with payments and it's stupid. But I'm not going to start using my phone for payments until it's locked down. And I'm not going to lock it down until I'm sure I won't get in a pathological condition if I forget or mistype the PIN, etc., etc.

Finger-print readers (FPR) and similar biometrics are the way to go, of course, assuming the technology is nearly bullet proof. Of course, fingerprints can be and have been stolen and you can't make new ones. It's not a hypothetical and it's something to consider. The Nexus 4 doesn't have a FPR.

Again, no tinfoil hattery here, just being a laggard. It's something to consider when getting a new phone and deciding how to use it.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: How secure is secure enough?
"My phone is fully encrypted and is secured by a 6-digit PIN and my fingerprints."
possibly. If I had your phone, take the sim to a vanilla iphone is it still secured? Just curious
you can kill people for America at age 18 but need to be 21 to buy a beer
New Yep
You power cycle the phone and you'll need to enter the PIN before you can use Touch ID.

You'll also need to enter the Apple ID password the first time you try to use it (in the iTunes Store etc) after a power cycle, too.

The SIM doesn't participate in device security, although I could of course set a PIN on that too.

If you half inch the SIM then you can use my data, I guess. I have unlimited calls and texts.
     Apple Pay - (pwhysall) - (10)
         Interesting. - (Another Scott) - (9)
             Apple aren't a gatekeeper of anything here - you can take off your tinfoil hat. - (pwhysall) - (8)
                 No hat... - (Another Scott) - (6)
                     Carriers? Seriously? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Also, the article is very US-centric - (pwhysall)
                     How secure is secure enough? - (pwhysall) - (3)
                         More than what I've got... - (Another Scott)
                         Re: How secure is secure enough? - (boxley) - (1)
                             Yep - (pwhysall)
                 Don't forget ... - (drook)

They believe our game is food?
83 ms