IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New you lazy bassars need to pay more taxes, I want to be able to get my check!
either that or we need a whole lot more illegals with fake id's
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/944143000000-social-security-administration-spending-hit-record
As of September, there were 59,737,817 beneficiaries getting Social Security or disability benefits, according to the SSA. At the same time, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 148,800,000 people who had either a full- or part-time job in the United States. That means there were only 2.49 people with jobs for each of the 59,737,817 Social Security and disability beneficiaries.
you can kill people for America at age 18 but need to be 21 to buy a beer
New Dean Baker's got you covered.
CEPR:

First, aging populations are not new. The United States and other wealthy countries have been seeing aging populations for centuries, as increases in living standards and improvements in medicine have led to longer life expectancies. This has meant a growing population of retirees relative to the number of people working.

The D.C. fearmongers point to projections showing the number of workers per Social Security beneficiary falling from 2.8 his year to just 2.1 in 2035. But this prospect looks considerably less scary when we consider that the number of workers per beneficiary was 5.1 back in 1960. We have seen this number cut almost in half over the last five decades, yet both workers and retirees have seen substantial increases in their standard of living.

The logic here is simple: Productivity growth has allowed workers to produce far more today than they did in 1960. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, productivity is more than three times as high today as it was in 1960. This means that for every hour worked, a worker in 2014 on average produces three times as much by way of goods and services as did a worker in 1960. This is the reason that both workers and retirees can enjoy higher living standards even though there are fewer workers to support each retiree.

Read the whole thing and you'll feel better.

Until you decide to read CNS again, that is... :-/

;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New eh? what neverland does he live in?
"yet both workers and retirees have seen substantial increases in their standard of living."
people need to work 60 hours a week to afford minimal housing, bad food and child care. wages have been stagnant for a decade or more. An apartment rental where I live in GA or MS is $650 for a dump to $850 for something livable yet a waitress earns $2.30 an hour, minimum wage is $7.50 and skilled workers make $18 per hour. Tell me how good the economy is getting.
you can kill people for America at age 18 but need to be 21 to buy a beer
New Capitalism is the enemy of the People.
New Communism has the notion of parasites.
That's people who live off what others produce. There's no reason to keep them alive, is there?
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Parasites? You're thinking of the Capitalist class. ;0)
New Changing the subject.
Social Security has always assumed that there will be more retirees per contributor as time goes on (until it saturates in the 2050s or so, IIRC). Taking a ratio of two numbers doesn't say anything about the health of the system.

Cheers,
Scott.
     you lazy bassars need to pay more taxes, I want to be able to get my check! - (boxley) - (6)
         Dean Baker's got you covered. - (Another Scott) - (5)
             eh? what neverland does he live in? - (boxley) - (4)
                 Capitalism is the enemy of the People. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                     Communism has the notion of parasites. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                         Parasites? You're thinking of the Capitalist class. ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 Changing the subject. - (Another Scott)

Gotta catch 'em all!
299 ms