IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Who wrote the assembler?
You didn't construct the executable image by hand in a hex editor.

But if you did, who wrote the hex editor?

Turtles all the way down!
New Beat me to it.
I like turtles.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New FTW!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNry4PE93Y (0:17)

Portland, of course. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New I wrote the assembler for the machine code but ya got me using a hex editor
you can kill people for America at age 18 but need to be 21 to buy a beer
New Did you poke the holes out of the paper tape with a pin? No? Pussy
--

Drew
New that was before my time sorry
New Where does using a Flexowriter fit?
Friden Flexowriter.

You hit typewriter keys and it punches the holes in paper tape.

Using manual paper tape punch was only used for editing.

My first bit of code was machine code (homework assignment without benefit of assembler) and we did that in octal (not hex). The machine had an 18-bit word architecture, so it took 6 octal digits to specify a word. So, the code would have looked something like this:

The professor wanted us appreciate the convenience of an assembler!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New You ... win?
Not quite sure that's the right word for that.
--

Drew
New Alex and Skip win all those argies hands down
New :-)
My first "program" (to brute-force find and print prime numbers) was on a teletype with a paper tape punch/reader. 300 baud FTW!

Neat story! I hope you're documenting these things in more detail somewhere! :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Well, it was the TX-0 computer, and a historical machine.
Computer History Museum.

It was the first computer to ever use both transistors for the circuitry and ferrite cores for memory. It was a single copy, proof of concept, machine built at MIT Lincoln Labs. It was a re-implementation of the vacuum tube based Whirlwind computer. Originally with 64 K words, it was downgraded to 4 K words when given to MIT's EE department. That original memory was redeployed in the MIT Lincoln Lab's TX-2 computer a 36-bit machine.

As a side note, note the rectangular gray area to the left of the middle chair's backrest. That is an array of 16 x 18 toggle switches which coded the "boot loader" i.e. a bit like BIOS.

The circuit designer was Ken Olson who, soon after the TX-2 project, started DEC (Digital Equipment Corp) and started making and selling the PDP-1 computer. Ken was good enough to give a PDP-1 to MIT. It was across the hall from my office, so I got to play with it on occasion.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     WP: Linus on Linux kernel security and more. - (Another Scott) - (27)
         Re: WP: Linus on Linux kernel security and more. - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Interesting. I wonder how new that is. :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
         I believe it's been proven that you cannot have a system that can be verified to be virus-proof. - (boxley) - (19)
             And don't turn it on -NT - (drook)
             Fred Cohen in 1987. - (Another Scott)
             And that only works if you trust the compiler, too. :-) -NT - (malraux) - (16)
                 back in those days we built the compilers :-) -NT - (boxley) - (14)
                     Ah, but what did you compile them with? - (malraux) - (13)
                         Oooh. Nice. Thanks muchly. (Interesting comments too.) -NT - (Another Scott)
                         assembler, required for a cs degree in 1992 - (boxley) - (11)
                             Who wrote the assembler? - (pwhysall) - (10)
                                 Beat me to it. - (malraux) - (1)
                                     FTW! - (Another Scott)
                                 I wrote the assembler for the machine code but ya got me using a hex editor -NT - (boxley) - (7)
                                     Did you poke the holes out of the paper tape with a pin? No? Pussy -NT - (drook) - (6)
                                         that was before my time sorry -NT - (boxley)
                                         Where does using a Flexowriter fit? - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                                             You ... win? - (drook) - (1)
                                                 Alex and Skip win all those argies hands down -NT - (boxley)
                                             :-) - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 Well, it was the TX-0 computer, and a historical machine. - (a6l6e6x)
                 Just the compiler? - (scoenye)
         Not quite nonsensical - (scoenye) - (4)
             O_o - (malraux)
             Sure, but... - (Another Scott)
             Why even bother hacking the kernel? - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 Indeed -NT - (scoenye)

I see... dead people.
165 ms