IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New El Capitan note at my ISP's site re e-mail: DON'T!!
Sun 10/04/15 MAC users please refrain from upgrading to El Capitain.
It currently breaks email and in some cases deletes all of your email.
Alas I rarely go to their site, so just saw this (they have my forever e-mail account, but only Comcast does webvertainmant in these boonies.)

Fortunately I resisted Apple's nagging-Direct. Am still fighting cookie weirdness on Yosemite, along with a minute or more [of beachball in Safari] to save a bloody bookmark.
If this be a harbinger of futchah OS X, now emulating early Beastware in perpetual beta.. then.. if Doze 10-not-"X=10" starts cleaning Apple's Clock SmartWatch
..via superior, stable Techno ?!?

Then we shall have verified the koan..

Everything you know is false.

(I wonder if Time Machine restored those e-mails, etc. etc. Has cyberspace finally reached its Absolute Limit via n!
New Don't worry about that last part
Apple still has a while to go before they reach Redmond.

(Just do a Googlie for unwanted Win 10 downloads and installations. Notes on your ISPs site are not going to save you from this one.)
New Good of them to provide info. Not.
The rest of the world seems to be upgrading to El Capitan without deleting their email.
New Well, Yosemite (on a 20" and 24" iMac) isn't sorted yet
..one massive alteration-at-a-time. Maybe my '08 + early '09 models didn't get much alpha time at the New Apple? and like that.

Speaking of the rest of the world:
(If I wanted to get all fidgety I'd ponder why it is that: Ted Koppel [former host of Nightline late night commentary for many years] checked in with many agencies:
found no slightest sense that any Govt. Agency had in place any Plan.. for after the first competent cyber-attack on U.S.)
New Not touching it until at least the first update.
But then again I'm careful like that. Let someone else find the annoyances.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New But not the entire world
The issue appears to be real. Sometimes reindexing helps, in other cases not. There are now about 1M results in Google for lost email following an El Cap upgrade. That is not a trivial number. If I go looking for something that turns out to be an obscure problem, the result count is at least an order of magnitude lower.

I've had the good fortune of only needing to deal with a Mail problem once, but that thing is the worst POS compared to any other mail client out there. Once it starts down the "won't cooperate" road, good luck.
New I like Mail when it works
But you're very right: once it heads down the derp trail you're stuck.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I've upgraded the mini to El Capitan.
It seemed painless, but I haven't done much with it yet. I'll do some more checking before upgrading the other 3, and wait a while on the critical one that J uses for work, but I'm not worried.

The trouble with a notice like that is you don't know whether they're talking about a problem with Apple's Mail program, or a problem with web access to the ISP's mail server, or what.

I use Thunderbird (even on the Mac) and haven't noticed any issues.

As always, be careful, but it shouldn't be a problem to upgrade if you wait a month or so after release (to let the early adopters find the problems first).

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Ditto on my MacPro.
And I use Apple's Mail.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New The 10.11.1 Update supposedly fixes things...
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205360

It's dated 10/21/2015, so maybe it addresses the issues your ISP was citing.

(I installed it just after upgrading to El Capitan on 10/22.)

HTH. Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks but while it's a good sign, will wait.
Got a bizarre request about having lost PW for one mail account (nevah hoppen previously.)
Now I must change PWs just because. It's f-ing APPLE: their s/ware or its interaction with 'earlier' allegedly 'accommodated' h/ware. Not my ISP.

So ... welcome to The Era of Apple Regression (did they hire all the MSofties who got axed?)

SHIT!! I may finally have to go full-Luddite. Lots of books just waiting to be slotted-in, so no sweat.
And my decent grade ink-pen still works. And there are now special USPS stamps,
a bit pricier but which subsidize against the dis-US War on Animals-not-Exactly-like-US. :-{

See? there's always a bwight side to colossal failures :-)
     El Capitan note at my ISP's site re e-mail: DON'T!! - (Ashton) - (10)
         Don't worry about that last part - (scoenye)
         Good of them to provide info. Not. - (pwhysall) - (4)
             Well, Yosemite (on a 20" and 24" iMac) isn't sorted yet - (Ashton)
             Not touching it until at least the first update. - (malraux)
             But not the entire world - (scoenye) - (1)
                 I like Mail when it works - (malraux)
         I've upgraded the mini to El Capitan. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Ditto on my MacPro. - (a6l6e6x)
         The 10.11.1 Update supposedly fixes things... - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Thanks but while it's a good sign, will wait. - (Ashton)

With the mochas he was strong.
136 ms