IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yup, sane analysis has shown . . .
. . that if you use one of those "environmentally friendly" reusable fabric bags, the environmental cost of those things is so high you have to use it over 300 times before it equals getting a fresh plastic bag on each of the 300 trips.

And, in the great "paper or plastic" thing, environmentalists have completely forgotten that the whole environmental movement was started due to pollution from paper mills.

But my favorite (other than banning horse slaughter, a law so wrong even Congress noticed and quietly retracted it) was the big campaign to ban phosphates in detergents in the Mississippi drainage region.

Detergent base is made by only a very few companies, and they couldn't see having a separate base for that region, so they shifted all production away from phosphate. The labels that say, "Phosphte Free!" are redundant, you can't buy phosphate detergent. The environmental nut cases celebrated their victory, dancing in the streets (well, almost).

Then actual science came in and showed that phosphates were already naturally in surplus. The real problem was nitrates.

Guess what phosphate-free detergents are made of.

Not a peep from the environ-mentals.

Of course, all this happened before the Internet, so you will find no evidence that this ever happened. Same for paper mill pollution.

I'm all for environmental protection, and contribute money to that end, but I prefer it be based on actual science rather than sound bites. We get more than enough of those from politics.
New Also, BTW, ze Chermans don't agree on that number, 300:
Der Spiegel ( http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/muenchhausen-check-jute-statt-plastik-a-935161.html ) quotes the Süddeutsche Zeitung claiming it's 130, and the Frankfurter Allgemeine saying only 30. (For paper bags, both agree they need to be used three times as often as plastic bags to be more environmentally friendly in the aggregate.)

I used to use fabric bags for years on end; only quit when I lost them or something. Say three years, grocery shopping about three times a week... For about 48 weeks a year (don't take it with me on travels, etc), that makes at least 400 uses. Three years feels short, most people should be less scatter-brained than me, so they'd get more uses out of them.

Nowadays I use my "laptop briefcase" for grocery shopping on the way home from work: http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/31-4722 (and in case of bulkier purchases, I carry a nylon shopping bag from https://www.supermarchesg20.com/ in it, that's coming up on five years -- we vacationed in the south of France in 2012).
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Having worked a summer at PFI/Potlach Forests Inc.
(World's largest white pine mill du jour, Lewiston, Idaho) .. wherein was also a paper mill ... I can attest to the foulest of {sweetish} odoriferousness imaginable, at certain parts of the paper process.
The locals just got used-to aka inured to the awfulness. (But not moi.)

But then we got COMPUTERS. Recall the ""paperless-Orifice"" soon to descend upon uncivilization, along with the flying car?
Drumpf didn't invent the Lo-information voter, he merely orchestrated many of the themes of Boobus Americansis so artfully dissected in the magnificent The Disappearance: of the master curmudgeon, *Philip Wylie.
("Momism" was another of his coinages..) while Disappearance is as prescient as: predicting The Drumpf, right on down to the preoccupation with [someone-is-wrong-on-the-Intarweb.] Well before DARPA birthed it.

* I was fortunate to encounter that summer a literate guy who brought Wylie into my callow consciousness, his acerbic wit arming me for those coming forays against inculcation (of er, Murican Valuez. :-)

Carrion.
New But I bet the "Körnerfresser" are right this beats both of them in the long run:
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
     Hey Andrew, this made me think of you - (crazy) - (4)
         Yup, sane analysis has shown . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             Also, BTW, ze Chermans don't agree on that number, 300: - (CRConrad)
             Having worked a summer at PFI/Potlach Forests Inc. - (Ashton)
         But I bet the "Körnerfresser" are right this beats both of them in the long run: - (CRConrad)

Sounds like a horse. Maybe it was.
110 ms