IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A recall has started.
I'm presuming VW will patch or replace the ECU. However, they are between a rock and a hard place: if they change it so it complies with the EPA, owners will notice the lack of performance. But the EPA won't let them set the ECU the other way, either. :-)

Wade.
New actually sounds like an opportunity for a software release
you can kill people for America at age 18 but need to be 21 to buy a beer
New They've got to prove the cars comply with EPA rules.
Autoweek:

In order to be able to resume sales of diesels, Grundler said, VW has to engineer a fix to bring those vehicles into compliance, and receive EPA approval before a recall can commence. It’s not clear yet whether that fix will consist of a change to the engine’s emission control software or more substantial engineering changes to vehicle hardware, Grundler said.

According to the EPA’s website, it could take up to one year to identify “corrective actions,” develop a recall plan and issue recall notices. But Grundler declined to discuss a specific timetable.

“Until we gather that information and are convinced ... we’re not going to go forward with the recall,” Grundler said. “It will take more work to determine what the appropriate remedy for these vehicles is.”

This is a huge disaster for VW. It's good that they're cooperating fully now, but they're still in a world of hurt. It's also good that the CARB and EPA are checking cars from other manufacturers, too.

The used market for VWs could actually take off now since it will be months (at least) before new ones can be sold. Or they might turn into lemons that nobody wants. It's hard to say at this point.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who is glad that his 2004 TDI isn't part of this fiasco.)
New But how will they verify? Would it be a voluntary recall?
If I had one of these, I know I don't want to take it in and have it neutered. And since it already defeats the smog test, what's my incentive?
--

Drew
New Vee have vays of making you cooperate!
I assume they'll offer incentives to get people to bring their cars in. I also assume that if the participation rate is not high enough, then there will be draconian sanctions - like not being able to register the car. In places that have annual emissions tests, I'm sure the word will go out that the car has to demonstrate that it has been fixed before it will be passed and get the magic sticker. As long as the EPA knows the VIN, it won't be easy to avoid having the cars fixed.

I assume they can find a way to give slightly worse mileage and substantially cleaner exhaust. But it will cost money - money that VW didn't want to spend.

TTAC:

The Cruze Diesel 2.0-liter engine is based on the one of the same size used in Europe, but many changes have been made including a new intake manifold, throttle body system and ceramic glow plugs. The fuel system was also modified to run at 1,600 PSI instead of the 2,000 PSI they see in Europe. Changes in the emissions programming were also made in order to meet U.S. emissions requirements. Both engines employ a diesel particulate filter (DPF) along with a urea injection system.

GM may have paved the way for a Volkswagen fix since they were able to lower the NOx output from their engine by making a few hardware changes and adjusting the emissions programming to reduce fueling. These changes are apparent when you look at the specs for the vehicles.

The European engine produces 163 hp and 260 lb.-ft. while the US engine produces 151 hp and 250 lb.-ft.

The fuel economy is also noticeably better for the European version with the heavier Zafira Tourer enjoying a 40 mpg combined rating while the Cruze Diesel is rated at 33 mpg combined by the EPA. All of these changes fall in line with a reduction in fuel injection timing. Reducing the timing causes a decrease in power and fuel economy, but also reduces the NOx output.

One other hint to the changes lies in the CO2 output ratings which put the Zafira Tourer at 220 grams per mile while the Cruze is at 307 grams per mile. This goes in line with a lower NOx output rating for the Cruze as due to the inverse relationship of CO2 and NOx output.

The dirty piece of reducing the injection timing is that more soot is created, which is why many are against such a fix for the Volkswagen diesels. This side effect is apparent in the Cruze as many have complained about soot buildup and the ability of the diesel regen cycle to clean it. The regen cycle in the Cruze burns additional diesel to heat up the particulate filter and clear out the soot, but dealers are running manual regens or increasing the regen cycle to help combat these issues due to the heavy soot build up on some vehicles. While the longer regen cycles will help to combat soot, they will also reduce the fuel economy as more diesel is dumped in order to heat up the filter.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Feds'll have to strongarm the states for that
CA and the those that already sued the auto makers to use CARB rules will likely go after them on their own. The rest? You know this is just an Obama plot, right?
New Can you say "unfunded mandate"?
In Ohio the emissions check is just plugging in the ODBII. If, as some articles have suggested, owners will have to provide some proof they've been fixed* before they can be tested, someone is going to have to define what that proof looks like.

Garages will have to be able to produce it. Testing centers will have to verify it. Someone will have to track it. I hope someone accounts for that and puts it on top of whatever the actual fine is.

* I just realized I've now used the terms "neutered" and "fixed" for this change. I kill me.
--

Drew
New I wouldn't be surprised if it goes something like this.
VW sends the EPA data showing that Bosch computer firmware version 27.2934.378.b fixes the problem. EPA agrees, orders the recall.

VW does the recall, flashed the EEPROM and installs the new firmware.

Mary American takes her VW to emissions-check place. ODBII computer interrogates the Bosch computer - "what firmware version are you?". "27.2934.378.b"

Ok, that's proof the fix was done.

Tester checks the other stuff, M.A. pays the fee and gets her sticker.

Just a guess though.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I would...
The OBDII tests are government mandated and defined extensively in formal specifications. There is not a "show firmware version" command or api in the spec. That would have to be in the proprietary tests that are done however the manufacturer wants, eg. Oil Life Remaining; every manufacturer can do that any way they want or not at all. The Germans, in particular, are very fussy about turning over ANY of their proprietary tests. Considering that it would probably take 10 years to get a complete sign off on OBDII specification changes, the settlement will probably be along the lines of "Do you promise to fix it? Soon? Pinky-swear? OK, then... done deal"
My 0.02
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Ok. Thanks. It'll be interesting to see what they do.
New I do. Can the Tea Party?
New :-) Good points.
But the EPA does have sticks to hold over the states and localities.

The EPA letter to VW (6 page .PDF) has all the details about the allegations, the relevant federal laws, etc.

EPA FAQ on the VW situation:

Can EPA require Volkswagen to recall these vehicles?

Yes. EPA has the authority under section 207 of the Clean Air Act to require a manufacturer to issue a recall when EPA determines that a substantial number of vehicles do not conform to EPA regulations.

Is EPA officially requiring Volkswagen to issue a recall now?

No. EPA expects to compel VW to issue a recall in the future to reduce the emissions impacts of these vehicles. Owners will be notified of that recall once Volkswagen and Audi have developed a remedial plan and EPA has approved the plan. Manufacturers are given a reasonable amount of time to develop a plan to complete the repairs, including both the repair procedure and manufacture of any needed parts. Depending on the complexity of the repair and the lead time needed to obtain the necessary components, it could take up to one year to identify corrective actions, develop a recall plan, and issue recall notices.

Will I be required to have my vehicle repaired once it is recalled?

That depends. Some states require proof that emissions recalls have been performed prior to issuing the vehicle registration. Even in states that do not have this requirement, it is important to have emissions recalls performed because without the repairs, your vehicle may be emitting harmful pollutants in excess of the federal emission standards. You are not responsible for repair costs related to an emissions recall.

I live in an area that requires periodic emissions tests. What happens if my car fails?

It is unlikely that the presence of this device will cause your vehicle to fail. In fact, the defeat device was specifically designed to ensure that vehicles would pass inspection. The defeat device has been installed in the affected VW diesels since 2009. To date, EPA has no indication of any pattern failures with these vehicles during inspection and maintenance emission tests.

Cheers,
Scott.
     hmm, maybe its time to buy a vw diesel - (boxley) - (14)
         Good point, VW will pay a fine but what happens to the owners? -NT - (drook) - (13)
             no discounts on atlanta.craigslist.org maybe the news story was urban legend -NT - (boxley)
             A recall has started. - (static) - (11)
                 actually sounds like an opportunity for a software release -NT - (boxley)
                 They've got to prove the cars comply with EPA rules. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                     But how will they verify? Would it be a voluntary recall? - (drook) - (8)
                         Vee have vays of making you cooperate! - (Another Scott) - (7)
                             Feds'll have to strongarm the states for that - (scoenye) - (6)
                                 Can you say "unfunded mandate"? - (drook) - (4)
                                     I wouldn't be surprised if it goes something like this. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         I would... - (hnick) - (1)
                                             Ok. Thanks. It'll be interesting to see what they do. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                     I do. Can the Tea Party? -NT - (scoenye)
                                 :-) Good points. - (Another Scott)

I would never pay to play something like this.
109 ms