IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yes, lectures are "unfair".
At least that's what I learned in my physics undergrad days.

How so? Because all the students don't have the same background knowledge to build upon.

"As you learned in kindergarten..." was one of the favorite expressions of more than one of the instructors.

"To solve this, you complete the square and then ..." Only one guy in my class of ~ 30 knew to apply that trick to get the solution.

Lectures in college aren't intended to convey all the information you need to be able to answer all the questions on the exams. They're designed to stimulate thinking, to illustrate the types of things that you should be able to do, but they don't provide everything you need to do the work. They of necessity assume background knowledge, and the ability to apply that knowledge, and everyone (even good students) isn't going to have all the prerequisites. Everyone who pays attention and takes good notes and does the homework and works hard isn't going to do well in the class, because they don't have the same background. Lecturing isn't a "fair" way to teach - it's used because that's the way it's always been done.

There was a good show on public radio this afternoon on "expeditionary learning" and its history. There's a lot to recommend there. I can't find the particular show, but it seems to be part of this American Radioworks series.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that college professors are cultural imperialists or something. I'm saying that the way college and university education is structured, it's designed (sometimes, like in many engineering and pre-medical schools, and in most PhD programs) to explicitly weed people out. Not to have everyone do as well as possible. The system is working as designed.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Weeder classes
That is still the dominant paradigm in STEM education. Just about every discipline has a barrier class designed to thin the herd.
New Duplicate
The Careaga boys are seeing double tonight.
Expand Edited by gcareaga Sept. 13, 2015, 10:27:32 PM EDT
New rofl. :-)
New Fully agree!
I recall the first circuit theory course in MIT's electrical engineering program. Totally abstract, theoretical, and impractical stuff. Great lecturer, whose text book was used. But the lecture hall had 250 seats! There was practically no opportunity for questions. All the class interactions happened in a "recitation class" where assigned problems were discussed. These were lead by a grad student, often sporting a foreign accent. About a third of the students flunked this course!

A friend (enough for me to be his best man) flunked this course. He was a ham, designed and built his own transmitter from parts, built a puzzle solving stepping relay based box, "foo counters", etc. It crushed him! No collaborative help from me because I switched from Chemical Engineering to Electrical Engineering and took the course a year later. My friend eventually got a Math degree from Clemson.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     I do not WANT to be a fucking reactionary - (rcareaga) - (15)
         read the book, pass the test fsck the lecture -NT - (boxley)
         Active Learning pedagogies do create better outcomes - (gcareaga) - (8)
             disagree - (rcareaga) - (6)
                 That's comparing apples to road apples - (gcareaga) - (5)
                     then let's give up - (rcareaga) - (4)
                         gonna do that make it free and open to everyone - (boxley)
                         No - (gcareaga) - (2)
                             And then there was Bert Kaplan - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                 Yeah but - (gcareaga)
             Depends on the subject - (malraux)
         Yes, lectures are "unfair". - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Weeder classes - (gcareaga)
             Duplicate - (gcareaga) - (1)
                 rofl. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             Fully agree! - (a6l6e6x)

How?
44 ms