IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New AdBlock Plus is your friend.
The first thing I do after installing Windows is install an antivirus, update it, scan the system. Then I download the Chrome browser, install Adblock Plus and Flash Control, and then download and install Spybot Search & Destroy. I close the browser, let SBS&D do a scan, then Immunize the system.

From your link:

Experts recommend users run advertising or script blockers to prevent random redirection from malvertising. "Advertisers are really going to hate to hear this but blocking advertising for user protection is a really effective way of blocking malvertising," Schultz says.

Users can use script blockers or ad blockers to reduce their exposure. This reporter has anecdotal evidence that many in the industry run the likes of Ad-Block for security purposes. The scourge is so bad that Cisco's Schultz and the rest of the TALOS team recommend the blockers as a security measure. Schultz personally recommends Request Policy for Firefox users.

An ad blocker and all the rest is no panacea, of course. There's always a chance that "legitimate" companies will accidentally or intentionally infect their customers machines with a virus or a rootkit, for instance. But it dramatically reduces the chances.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New AB+ sold out
But there is a new player on the field, EFF's Privacy Badger. It does not concentrate on the visual components of ads, but on the background behavior of the sources.
New Ah. Excellent. Thanks.
https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

Looks interesting. Thanks for the pointer.

Cheers,
Scott.
New No. Adblock plus is not your friend.
Adblock is. AB+ doesn't block all ads. Adblock does.

Confusing nomenclature, but there you go.
New Zooks. I missed all that.
I moved to ABP when AB wasn't available on Chrome and haven't kept up with the details.

https://getadblock.com/

Gotta reconfigure my browsers in the next few days... :-/

Thanks to you and scoenye for the pointers.

Cheers,
Scott.
New AdBlock has a deal as well, apparently
I'm currently looking into uBlock.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New AdBlock seems to hang on some pages for me.
E.g. for a while it seemed to be doing something with Disqus on Atrios's home page - the progress indicator wouldn't stop. (That seems to be fixed now.)

It's weird.

Oh well. I can't complain as I haven't paid anything for any of them yet...

Cheers,
Scott.

New Trying uBlock Origin at the moment.
AdBlock seems weird on more than just Atrios's page. I don't know whether the uBlock/uBlockOrigin[*] split is important, but uBO has more reviews on the Chrome store so it seems like a reasonable place to start.

We'll see how it goes.

Cheers,
Scott.
[*] - FF and Chrome(ium) only.
New I'm running uBlock on Safari
Seems ok so far.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New And so passes AdBlock...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/02/adblock_flogged_off_to_mystery_buyer/

Within its headline announcement yesterday that it had been bought by an unnamed outfit, AdBlock said it is now participating in German competitor AdBlock Plus' Acceptable Ads program, which sets the criteria for whether publishers and websites can be unblocked by its filter.

Fixes the nomenclature confusion...
New After the front page story in the NY Times about adblockers...
It seem inevitable that there is going to be even more shakeouts in the ad blocker market after the NY Times finally lets the masses know about them, and after Apple finally lets them on the iPhones. Since there's so much money at stake in on-line ads, people will try to find a way around the blockers.

"Acceptable ads" policies may be a good thing, if the organization behind the standards really is sensible and independent. Web sites do need to find a way to be something other than money pits. But the Devil's in the details.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Cash-cows and Guns
seem to top any list of legislation-proof scams that flourish in countries with religions like vulture-capitalism. This one hits the fantasies of all the more-More-MORE afflicted. A huge group here.
So if we cannot alter what's in jelloware in these afflicted tribes? well.. we see what the pragmatists do later: target the mind-containers. Messy but effective.

I think it's simpler though: alter the early-inculcaton of what 'wealth' *means: and--like the polio virus--much of the later mayhem and massacre can be nipped in the cradle. We train-em-Up early or end up later: shooting-em-Down.

* a lengthy process, usually successfully inculcated only via active early-on parental demonstration: until mental health inspections verify the principle. Logic alone won't work, which really pisses off the people who like recipes for everything. (Same problem as 'proving' why early music exposure and education seems just as vital.) But if we ended stupid-wars and such, what would dull people do for excitement?
     Dell Latitude E7450 and Win8.1 Pro. - (Another Scott) - (25)
         Sounds like how I review hardware now - (drook) - (1)
             Yup. Life's too short. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         HDTune Read Benchmark for Hynix mSATA 512 GB SSD - (Another Scott)
         Winaero Tweaker. - (Another Scott)
         Life's too short - (pwhysall) - (18)
             UAC seems useless to me. - (Another Scott) - (17)
                 headdesk - (pwhysall) - (16)
                     I'm not running as Admin. :-) - (Another Scott) - (15)
                         Sheesh - (pwhysall) - (14)
                             Re: Sheesh - (Another Scott) - (13)
                                 Re: The answer is to not let malware get on the PC in the first place. - (a6l6e6x) - (12)
                                     AdBlock Plus is your friend. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                         AB+ sold out - (scoenye) - (1)
                                             Ah. Excellent. Thanks. - (Another Scott)
                                         No. Adblock plus is not your friend. - (pwhysall) - (8)
                                             Zooks. I missed all that. - (Another Scott)
                                             AdBlock has a deal as well, apparently - (malraux) - (3)
                                                 AdBlock seems to hang on some pages for me. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                     Trying uBlock Origin at the moment. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                         I'm running uBlock on Safari - (malraux)
                                             And so passes AdBlock... - (scoenye) - (2)
                                                 After the front page story in the NY Times about adblockers... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                     Cash-cows and Guns - (Ashton)
         HDTune Read benchmark for Samsung 850 EVO 1TB - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Free year of "unlimited" storage at Amazon with 850 EVO purchase. - (Another Scott)

Perhaps if we built this large wooden badger...
75 ms