IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New further to the MacBook Pro
Well, it's had its RAM quadrupled and its storage boosted from a 160GB HD to a 256GB SSD. It does indeed boot quite smartly, and I have the sense that the performance hit dimly sensed following the Yosemite "upgrade" has gone away. It's a great pity that my twin iMacs (home and work) apparently cannot support 8MB.

The MBP is not a production machine (it's running Adobe CS4; could run CS6 at need)), but in potential functionality it exceeds my aging twins in certain respects. This is a six year-old machine, and whatever else we may say about Apple ("the computers we love from the company we hate" as someone quipped long ago), their hardware keeps going, like the Energizer Bunny. Indeed, my Mac AIO* (a grotesque Bizarro predecessor to the original iMac that indeed weighs sixty pounds—I once was obliged to hump it on foot for over a mile) sits on an adjacent desk here, fired up a few times a year when I need to summon forth specialized functions requiring this or that iteration of the old Mac OS.

*formerly the property of expat US science journalist Erica Rex, who quit these shores for medical reasons.

cordially,
New They do last
My father is currently using my 9yo MBP 1,1 with the 17" screen. The only reason I dumped it was the 2G RAM limitation.

Additionally, I have had a MacPro 1,1 running in my den for the same 9 years. 16G of RAM, and it could be doubled to 32G if so desired.

I owned a Dell laptop (running Linux) from the same time period. It ran for an astounding 2 whole years before hacking up a lung.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Woot!
J was using a Black Macbook for what seemed like forever (replaced by a 13" MBP recently).

They do last a good long time. Now that (nearly?) everything (important?) in the hardware and OS is 64-bit, I expect them to last even longer (except for the stupid soldered memory limitations).

re the AIO - I thought the HP Integral PC was heavy. It was nothing compared to that beast. :-)

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Scott.
New That beast
And yet...

It's still tethered to the horrible old ADB keyboard/mouse connection, but it's been tricked out to support three USB 2.0 connections, two Firewire 400 connections, a couple of SCSI connections. It can support an external monitor (back when the Apple 30-inch display was unveiled, my AIO could deploy a greater number of pixels on its two screens). I removed the built-in ZIP drive for a hard disk. The built-in floppy drive still works, which was critical when I needed to retrieve twenty or thirty word-processing files (from a once-popular standard that nothing can read anymore), run them through an old translation machine as text files and export on a thumb drive) a couple of years ago.

cordlessly,
     further to the MacBook Pro - (rcareaga) - (3)
         They do last - (malraux)
         Woot! - (Another Scott) - (1)
             That beast - (rcareaga)

Best thing since sliced SPAM!
64 ms