IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'm not hearing gloom and doom
The press I'm hearing is saying that the US fundamentals are "OK", even "decent", and that this differs from 2007-8 in that it's not a US-centric problem. What happens in China certainly affects us, but not with the same contagion that perhaps all of Europe or another US-led bubble would.

Personally, I'm probably going to buy a few index funds over the next day.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Yep. It can't be as bad in China. China doesn't have Goldman.
New It seems to have turned around a little today.
I wasn't listening carefully to the news, but glancing at web sites like the NY Times, Reuters and the BBC yesterday made it seem like people were jumping out the windows (almost). It was crazy.

J asked me on Friday whether we should think about moving some of our 401K stuff out of our index fund and into something else. I said "no". It's just noise.

(The trouble with getting out when everyone else is getting out is that they always get out faster. And when do you decide to get back in?)

"Dollar cost averaging" is the way to go, if one has money to put in the market anyway.

Good luck.

One constant is that (almost) no matter what, NPR will talk about the (near universally agreed among the VSP, apparently) need to raise interest rates... :-/

Cheers,
Scott.
New I heard them saying keep the rates down on NPR yesterday
I was going to put some into index funds regardless; I'm just taking advantage of the lower prices right now.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     On the Hang Seng stock index... - (Another Scott) - (6)
         WOW! Almost passbook returns we used to get from S&L's! -NT - (mmoffitt) - (5)
             Yup. It seems to be the SSE index that people are yelling about though. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                 I'm not hearing gloom and doom - (malraux) - (3)
                     Yep. It can't be as bad in China. China doesn't have Goldman. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     It seems to have turned around a little today. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         I heard them saying keep the rates down on NPR yesterday - (malraux)