IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Re-rebuttal.
1. Computers are smart enough now that they should work the way people work, not the way they have always done things with PCs. If you want to create a new version, do so. It doesn't have to be called "save" and it doesn't have to have a floppy disk icon. Versioning can be handled by things like TimeMachine that already exist.

We had an earlier thread talking about how cheap storage is. Even back in the DEC VMS terminal days, people didn't have to worry about storage very much, and it kept track of versions automagically.

Just because PCs have always worked this way doesn't mean that they shouldn't change.

2. Meh. :-) I don't think that MS and Apple know best in all things that I look at. There's a lot of science out there on color perception and so forth. Office 2007 has all of 3 color schemes. Changing that to 12 wouldn't break them. MS could easily make it so that people couldn't choose black text on a black background, or whatever. These are easily solvable problems. They don't want to solve them because they don't want to, not because of the cost or difficulty.

If they don't want to solve the problem, they could at least not lock the OS and apps down so that third parties couldn't address that for people who want that ability.

3. There's modal, and then there's modal. Yes, most of the modal dialogs don't completely lock you out of the system. But if I'm doing a 300 GB copy of files, there's no need for the OS to throw up a modal dialog if it encounters an issue with one file. Be smart and work around it - copy the rest, give me a summary of the issues at the end. Stuff like that.

4. If my initial login was good enough to gain access to the machine, then that same type of login should, in general, be good enough to install software. If you're worried that I don't know what I'm doing, then add a checkbox to the install dialog. Having me Run as Admin or Login as Admin isn't any more secure - it just means I have to keep track of another password and that I have to waste my time. (Of course, there are situations where people shouldn't admin their machines. But the trend is that "nobody should login as admin" and that sudo is a pain or locked up. That's broken and needs to be fixed. (Yes, I know I'm yelling at clouds here.))

Amazon doesn't have me use one login to browse and another to purchase or change my payment information.

5. I don't know why we're not using Win AD. But we're not. :-/

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New number4 repudiation
without it when you hork the entire web service at your company you would say that dastardly pwysall did that when I went to lunch and forgot to log out. Forcing you to relog in with elevated privileges proves it was you, or someone with your credentials did the dirty work.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Why does the Admin password have to be required?
It's just another password to remember.

In real life, once we have the authorization to do something, we aren't asked again and again whether we really want to do that...

Johnny has a driver's license. Johnny has a key to the car. The car doesn't ask for another key if Johnny wants to stop and get gas. "But he might put diesel in the tank and ruin the engine!!11"

Verification checks can be done differently. Make users enter a simple PIN or something, but don't make them logout and login or other mumbo jumbo in the name of "increased security". "But a PIN is just another password!" Kinda, but kinda not. We're being forced to go to complex 15 character passwords... :-/

I understand the arguments on the other side, and servers and airplanes and rockets are different. Granny's PC doesn't need the same kind of security as a nuclear missile.

I know that my annoyances aren't going to be addressed anytime soon. But things can change.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New car doesnt care if you are robbing the gas station either
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Also
Amazon *does* ask for your password again if you are, for example, looking at order status or whatnot.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Yes, but it's not an Admin password - just the same one.
New I get the feeling you and Peter are arguing about two different things here.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Wouldn't be the first time I've been confused about a conversation here. :-)
     On a new UI convention - (rcareaga) - (14)
         I'd like to think that many things will get more life-like. - (Another Scott) - (11)
             Cor! So much wrong, all in one place! :p - (pwhysall) - (10)
                 Re-rebuttal. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                     Re: Re-rebuttal. - (pwhysall) - (8)
                         Re: Re-rebuttal. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                             number4 repudiation - (boxley) - (6)
                                 Why does the Admin password have to be required? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     car doesnt care if you are robbing the gas station either -NT - (boxley)
                                 Also - (malraux) - (3)
                                     Yes, but it's not an Admin password - just the same one. -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                         I get the feeling you and Peter are arguing about two different things here. -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                                             Wouldn't be the first time I've been confused about a conversation here. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Perspicuous memory-jogging.. - (Ashton)
         Look to mobile and touchscreens - (drook)

You sly ol' iconoclast, you...
65 ms