IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: If you really want it to fly, put a SSD in it. :-)
That sounds tempting, but it would involve a dance with Adobe's stupid "Creative Suite" deactivation/activation protocols. I used to admire that company before control of it passed from engineers to marketers.

resentfully,
New [archer]nooooope[/archer]
Clone your existing volume onto the new SSD.

Activation, schmactivation.

Your OS and software won't notice that anything's changed.

ETA: Most retail SSDs come with the software you need to do this. The Crucial MX200 that is now the system "disk" in my PC came with a copy of Acronis TrueImage, for example.
Expand Edited by pwhysall Aug. 18, 2015, 02:54:07 AM EDT
New Re: [archer]nooooope[/archer]
Very interesting. I'll look into this—thanks.

In other news, I am giving slight consideration to acquiring a tricked out Mac Pro (the black cylinder) this fall rather than a Retina iMac. This would be on the assumption that the machine would see me through the remaining forty-three months before my projected* retirement.

cordially,

*There's a chance that I'll bail a year before then out of sheer exasperation. There's a lesser chance that management will get all proactive on my arse out of impatience with my exasperation: I'm thinking that 2017 will be my year of maximum hazard.
New The 5k display on the Retina iMac sounds neat.
Dell has a 5120x2880 monitor for ~ $1700 at Amazon. HP has one for $1300 at B&H. Zooks. That's a bundle. The fact that Apple can sell an iMac with a display like that for $2000 - $2300 shows that they're not putting screaming CPUs and the like in it. :-( Pushing that many pixels, I'd worry that it's going to be a turtle without a fabulous graphics card.

J has a 27" iMac at work. It's a year or two old, and non-Retina. It's a nice machine, but it gets hotter than I would expect is good for it. Don't stand by the top vent! ;-)

I like expandability, especially in something that I hope to keep a while. I like plenty of cooling, also too, something that you won't get with an iMac.

Trouble is, you're also paying a premium for the design aesthetic of the MacPro. But if it were me, and it obviously isn't, I'd look very hard at the MacPro and get two decent but not obscene monitors to go with it. You'll soon be able to get a 27" 3.8k IPS LG screen for $600.. Apple claims you can connect 3 each 4k monitors to the MacPro (with different interfaces). You just need a place to put them! :-)

I'm rambling now... Enjoy your decision, and don't let them drive you nuts!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Agreed
The Retina iMac has only just enough graphical grunt to push the "5K" display, even in its tricked-out configuration. It's always worth remembering that the Mac Pro is the only computer Apple makes that isn't based on laptop parts.

Whilst I have no doubt whatsoever that the 5K RiMac will look positively edible and have a screen that makes grown men swoon, I have my doubts about its long-term reliability. Buy the AppleCare! More worrisome is that OS X is not, apparently, on the same frugal trajectory as Windows, so future revisions of the OS will need more resource, not less.

New Were I to go that route...
I have an old Mac 30" display that doesn't get a lot of use. It's not Retina- or 4K-grade, but I'm not going to be doing industrial-strength video or photo editing. The screen will require an inexpensive adaptor before it will work properly with the black cylinder. I will accordingly not be going, if I go at all, for the optionally higher-end graphics cards. Nor indeed do I regard it as likely that I'll require the studlier CPUs on offer. Repeat after me: Photoshop. Illustrator. InDesign. These represent something north of 85% of what my paid gig requires of me. The little video work I contemplate should be accommodated by Final Cut Express/Pro, both of which versions I have on hand ought not make undue demands on Apple's new top-of-the-line. I will go for max RAM, (64GB) because, yes, every new OS makes more savage demands on that element. Comments?

cordially,
New Sounds good.
Sounds like a nice machine.

But it sounds like you want something that's reasonably current that takes a boatload of RAM. An XServe might work well and be substantially cheaper. But if it's not out of your pocket, then ... :-)

They're cheap.

You'd have to put some parts in it (an SSD, etc.) to make it comparable to the MacPro. The graphics card in the XServe might be a turtle as well, so it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison at those prices. :-(

Good luck.

Cheers,
Scott.
New InDesign
We flung one of the upper end Core i7 CPUs at CS6 about a year ago because it was a dreadful slug on anything less. "Less" at the time was just below the Core i* series CPUs.

Unless the Windows version is somehow a much bigger resource hog than the Mac version. (It is Adobe, so I would not put that past them.)
New Re: InDesign
Good (discouraging) to know. Thank you.
New Experiences with PS CC 2015 and LR CC 2015
Both are predominantly CPU-bound.

Both use the GPU (LR to a much lesser extent)

LR seems to top out at 3GB of RAM used, no matter what I'm doing.

PS will EAT ALL UR RAMS.

This is on Windows 10, so YMMV.
     Just quadrupled the RAM in my MacBook Pro - (rcareaga) - (20)
         Only way to fly - (malraux)
         If you really want it to fly, put a SSD in it. :-) -NT - (Another Scott) - (18)
             Yep. - (pwhysall)
             Re: If you really want it to fly, put a SSD in it. :-) - (rcareaga) - (9)
                 [archer]nooooope[/archer] - (pwhysall) - (8)
                     Re: [archer]nooooope[/archer] - (rcareaga) - (7)
                         The 5k display on the Retina iMac sounds neat. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                             Agreed - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                 Were I to go that route... - (rcareaga) - (4)
                                     Sounds good. - (Another Scott)
                                     InDesign - (scoenye) - (1)
                                         Re: InDesign - (rcareaga)
                                     Experiences with PS CC 2015 and LR CC 2015 - (pwhysall)
             Talked me into it - (rcareaga) - (6)
                 You're going to love it. -NT - (pwhysall) - (5)
                     I'll hold you to that - (rcareaga) - (4)
                         SoCal is end of Sep - (pwhysall) - (3)
                             Keep an eye on whether the US has a budget for FY16. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                 Well, if a U.S. trip falls through... - (malraux) - (1)
                                     :-) -NT - (Another Scott)

LRPDism spotted: Beavis And Butthead Cornholio Megamix
61 ms