IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I'd make sure it doesn't touch anything useful
Reports are it is still in raw shape. The running gag on The Register is to wait for SP1 (which will never arrive...) The now obligatory automatic driver updates are capable of wreaking havoc.
New Yikes. :-(
New Latest
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/29/windows_10_bug_alert_start_menu_breaks_512_entries/

Start menu shortcuts are still shortcut files placed in the same special locations as previous versions of Windows, but the Start menu app appears to be driven by a database on which some optimistic Microsoft coder has placed a limit of 512 entries.

Whoopsie...

Not sure if you need to be a pathological app hoarder to encounter this, or if MS eats up a significant chunk of those 512 entries for their own.
New "640K ought to be enough for anybody." - not Bill Gates.
Why do they continue to put these silly limits in GUI elements in Windows??

"NTFS v134.2zp can address 2^16 wekabytes! (But don't put more than 512 folders on the Start Menu.)"

:-/

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
(Who apparently needs to start reading elReg again.)
New Ah, ha ha ha
Although 512 is a lot, I'm sure some percent of people will hit that limit.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New And even better...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/31/windows_10_torrent_updates/

Windows 10 employs a system of sharing updates between users’ PCs and across their own networks rather than download direct from Microsoft. The system is called Windows Update Delivery Optimisation, or WUDO.

It works by creating a local cache and stores files that it has downloaded in that cache for a short period of time. Windows sends parts of those files to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet that are downloading the same files.

Might make sense for a small shop that does not have WSUS set up. But chewing up my internet uplink bandwidth without permission does not come over well. And of course, this feature is bulletproof and no one will ever be able to conceive a hack that points the share at c:\users ...???
New Don't Steam downloads work like that?
New Uncertain
Not a Valve customer, so no direct experience. However, a quick browse through the Steam fora show some clamoring for torrent downloads, a vocal shoutdown, and an apparent hairy eyeball from Steam regarding the subject.

Even if Steam uses torrents, or whatever else the user installed, it is quite another things for the OS to do it and hide the controls where the sun doesn't shine.
New Well, I was citing prior art, so to speak.
And Windows Update, the bit that does all the downloading, is mostly just another app.

I'm actually curious what kind of percentage of users sail close to their monthly download quota. I know I don't; I average 16Gb a month and my quota is 100Gb (and that's the lowest my ISP sells).

Wade.
New I think so.
Although I've never watched my upload whilst Steam is doing stuff.
New Turn it off, then.
Also, Windows knows about metered connections, so there's that.
Expand Edited by pwhysall Aug. 1, 2015, 03:11:26 AM EDT
     Thinking about the Winders10 upgrade from 7. - (Another Scott) - (12)
         I'd make sure it doesn't touch anything useful - (scoenye) - (10)
             Yikes. :-( -NT - (Another Scott) - (9)
                 Latest - (scoenye) - (2)
                     "640K ought to be enough for anybody." - not Bill Gates. - (Another Scott)
                     Ah, ha ha ha - (malraux)
                 And even better... - (scoenye) - (5)
                     Don't Steam downloads work like that? -NT - (static) - (3)
                         Uncertain - (scoenye) - (1)
                             Well, I was citing prior art, so to speak. - (static)
                         I think so. - (pwhysall)
                     Turn it off, then. - (pwhysall)
         Been running it for yonks - (pwhysall)

It was the internet of the day. It was delivered by Fiber Coptics.
57 ms