IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I think it's from something completely different
Not a lot of people know this but the recommended practices from the FDA !and! Agriculture Canada are that farmers spray Roundup on their wheat 5-7 days before harvest, because it dessicates the plant and reduces wear on the equipment (combines etc).

This is considered perfectly safe because humans "lack the metabolic pathways to be affected by glyphosate" so it's okay that something like >98% of all wheat and food products made from and/or with wheat are contaminated with it. The problem is that a substantial sub population of your gut biome do have those metabolic pathways.

So... eat wheat, get an upset tummy... not really a surprise when you are selectively poisoning those critters in your gut that digest your food for you.

The timing is right too. The practice became common right around the same time that people started complaining about gluten. Given my complete lack of faith in our media, I personally think the gluten sensitivity thing was brought up to distract people from the real reason they suddenly found that the bagels fucked their stomachs up.
New Eh, maybe.
Organic wheat seems to do the same thing. Different set of pesticides. I suppose there might be a similar effect, however.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Oh I'm not saying it's the only thing
but I suspect it accounts for the vast majority of the reported problems. The timing is right, and the effect is as one would expect given the nature of the chemical. Remember, Roundup isn't a pesticide, it's an herbicide. The issue is that it is sprayed on the plants very shortly before harvesting, and inevitably makes it into pretty much all of the ingredients that are derived from it.

New Re: I think it's from something completely different
A friend and I are heading over to Europe for Oktoberfest this year. She's currently considered to be gluten-sensitive. Her doctor suggested that, while she's in Europe, she attempts to eat gluten-containing foods to see if they bother her over there the same way they do here in the US. Doctor's thought process is very much the same as what you're saying, Jake -- it's not so much a wheat problem as a Round-Up problem.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Good and bad
The article does a pretty good job of debunking the specific claims about spraying Roundup. But then the conclusion jumps to questioning the premise that wheat consumption causes harm at all. They should have stopped with, "The behavior they claimed doesn't actually happen, therefore it's not evidence of anything."
--

Drew
New Thanks. It had a whiff of "doesn't pass the smell test" about it.
     NYTimes: Big Bad Gluten - (Another Scott) - (10)
         Re: NYTimes: Big Bad Gluten - (malraux) - (9)
             pasta is a painkiller?! - (crazy)
             "Gluten sensitivity" may not be from gluten. - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                 I think it's from something completely different - (jake123) - (6)
                     Eh, maybe. - (malraux) - (1)
                         Oh I'm not saying it's the only thing - (jake123)
                     Re: I think it's from something completely different - (mvitale)
                     Or maybe not - (scoenye) - (2)
                         Good and bad - (drook)
                         Thanks. It had a whiff of "doesn't pass the smell test" about it. -NT - (Another Scott)

The man with the reverse Midas touch.
59 ms