IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Speaking up for mmoffitt
(geez, has it really been, like, eight years since anyone had anything nice to say in "Flame Off"?)

I'll say this for mmoffitt: he's wrong, utterly wrong, on many of the issues of the day, including the gay marriage/CSA battle flag debates, but by gawd, he do stick to his guns. Reason does not sway him, sarcasm does not sway him, and in the face of almost unanimous and not always kind opposition in these fora, he generally responds with more civility than I might muster in his place.

The participation of the late unlamented marlowe in these precincts, which I joined late in 2002, always aroused in me an unalloyed contempt. Of course, a Venn diagram of his worldview and mine probably would not have involved an intersection even on the subjects of Mom and Apple Pie, whereas mmoffitt and I have found points of agreement times past. More than that, though, our Confederate Commie has never, to the best of my recollection, had recourse to intellectual dishonesty (on which marlowe, of course, practically had a fucking patent) in his ripostes. However deeply the rest of us may differ with him, I hope we can all agree that IWT would be poorer absent his participation here.

cordially,

Edit: chronology
Collapse Edited by rcareaga June 29, 2015, 02:21:24 PM EDT
Speaking up for mmoffitt
(geez, has it really been, like, eight years since anyone had anything nice to say in "Flame Off"?)

I'll say this for mmoffitt: he's wrong, utterly wrong, on many of the issues of the day, including the gay marriage/CSA battle flag debates, but by gawd, he do stick to his guns. Reason does not sway him, sarcasm does not sway him, and in the face of almost unanimous and not always kind opposition in these fora, he generally responds with more civility than I might muster in his place.

The participation of the late unlamented marlowe in these precincts, which I joined late in 2003, always aroused in me an unalloyed contempt. Of course, a Venn diagram of his worldview and mine probably would not have involved an intersection even on the subjects of Mom and Apple Pie, whereas mmoffitt and I have found points of agreement times past. More than that, though, our Confederate Commie has never, to the best of my recollection, had recourse to intellectual dishonesty (on which marlowe, of course, practically had a fucking patent) in his ripostes. However deeply the rest of us may differ with him, I hope we can all agree that IWT would be poorer absent his participation here.

cordially,
New Yes, but would he pass the Turing test? :)
Just kidding, of course!

I am probably the only IWT member that has met him and his wife face to face at their home and enjoyed their hospitality. That was almost 10 years ago.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New That was very kind. Thank you.
New de nada
I really do look forward to your posts, even when we are at hammer and tongs. I don't think we've ever persuaded one another in debate, but I generally learn a thing or two from our exchanges. Incidentally, should you ever make it out to the Bay Area (sympathetic to neither Scalia nor the South, although in general easygoing on the whole subject of dialectical materialism), you may call upon a comfortable guest garrett, in a precinct of Oakland well-served by public transit, for the duration of your stay.

codially,
New Thank you. I hope to be in the Bay area some time soon.
I've been trying for some time to get into contact with a woman I've regrettably only spoken to once in more years than I'd like to think about. She was the younger of the two sisters orphaned in the accident I've recounted here. She's somewhere in the Bay area, but I'm unsure exactly where.

New zabasearch is your friend
Of course, maiden/married names can introduce complications.

cordially,
New Well said. :-)
New Agreed
Whilst I think he talks absolute shit on the subject of TEH GAYZ, I'm always mindful that it's not a personal argument.

Now if he starts on about putting milk in coffee, or putting ketchup on steak, then I'll call him an arsehole and *shun* his fucking coffee-milking, steak-ketchuping face.
New Catsup on steak????? :0)
New Heh, ditto
Coffee must be black, steak must be prime rib.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Chuck steak works well on the grill
--

Drew
New so mocha is out?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Eggs should run. Meat should bleed.
     Speaking up for mmoffitt - (rcareaga) - (12)
         Yes, but would he pass the Turing test? :) - (a6l6e6x)
         That was very kind. Thank you. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
             de nada - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 Thank you. I hope to be in the Bay area some time soon. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     zabasearch is your friend - (rcareaga)
         Well said. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Agreed - (pwhysall) - (5)
             Catsup on steak????? :0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
             Heh, ditto - (malraux) - (1)
                 Chuck steak works well on the grill -NT - (drook)
             so mocha is out? -NT - (boxley)
             Eggs should run. Meat should bleed. -NT - (jake123)

Do you believe everything you read on the radio?
69 ms