IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New is that american unemployment measure or really counting all the people out of work?
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Re: is that american unemployment measure or really counting all the people out of work?
In Greece, the unemployment rate measures the number of people actively looking for a job as a percentage of the labour force.

BLS:

The official unemployment rate for the nation is the number of unemployed as a percentage of the labor force (the sum of the employed and unemployed).

It seems pretty comparable.

Greece is suffering and has been for a long time.

Cheers,
Scott.
New For one thing BLS has the notion of "discouraged workers".
These are folks that have given up and aren't even looking for a job. They are not counted as unemployed! That's why even when new jobs shoot up the unemployment numbers as a percentage often don't change. The discouraged workers start looking again and then are suddenly counted as unemployed.

Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     Greece: It's the politics, stupid! - (Another Scott) - (41)
         Nah! The Greek governmaent was elected to stiff the rest of EU. - (a6l6e6x) - (29)
             We'll see. - (Another Scott) - (28)
                 They will have a depression now. - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                     25+% unemployment for 3+ years isn't already a depression? - (Another Scott) - (4)
                         is that american unemployment measure or really counting all the people out of work? -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                             Re: is that american unemployment measure or really counting all the people out of work? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 For one thing BLS has the notion of "discouraged workers". - (a6l6e6x)
                         If it's measured like in the US, then yes. - (a6l6e6x)
                 Greece was supposed to have a shallow recession - (pwhysall) - (21)
                     The endemic tax evasion problem goes back decades. - (static) - (1)
                         Agreed 100% -NT - (pwhysall)
                     It's hard to have a primary surplus without collecting taxes... - (Another Scott) - (18)
                         I don't disagree - (pwhysall) - (3)
                             Bring back Ottoman rule! :) - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                 Yes, but the Turks have much fancier outfits. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                     you sure? looks like a shriners convention -NT - (boxley)
                         More on the structural problems facing Greece: - (pwhysall) - (13)
                             Yeah, if only Syria had not won the election, then the Banksters would have fixed everything... :-/ -NT - (Another Scott) - (12)
                                 So what's your solution? - (pwhysall) - (11)
                                     Excluded middle ... but you know that, right? - (drook) - (10)
                                         OK, how do you do that? - (pwhysall) - (9)
                                             You broke it, you bought it - (drook) - (8)
                                                 This. - (Another Scott)
                                                 Why not? - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                     I don't know that 12-step programs work on social psychology - (drook) - (4)
                                                         Or we could just keep right on tipping money into their economy - (pwhysall) - (3)
                                                             Oh, I see, you just make up convenient "facts." - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                 Whev - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                                                     Re: EZ countries should just keep right on paying. - (mmoffitt)
                                                     Right. - (mmoffitt)
         Krugman: The Reverse Corleone - (Another Scott) - (4)
             Re: "they made Tsipras an offer he can’t accept" - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                 Sure you can. At least for a while. - (crazy) - (1)
                     :-) -NT - (boxley)
                 Yeah. Who do they think they are? Wall Street Bankers? -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Greece blinked - (crazy) - (2)
             It's really hard to know who's giving the straight story on this stuff. - (Another Scott)
             They are literally playing games. - (a6l6e6x)
         Good article on monetary policy and why the euro was doomed from the start - (crazy)
         Piketty (and others) open letter to Frau Merkel. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
             Puritanical visions of comeuppances (visited on anonymous Others) ..not just the Murican schadenfreude - (Ashton)

Loading times for MSN hosted pages are measured in tree-rings.
85 ms