IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New this morning's decision
IANAL, and have read only excerpts from the ruling and the dissents, but the underlying principle seems to me of a piece with "Loving v. Virginia." I fear that mmoffitt will chime in here that there's a big difference in that the poor darkies can't help being black whereas the queers are just doing it to annoy the rest of us, and could perfectly well step up to the other gender's naughty bits if they didn't insist on being so darned, well, perverse. Could be I'm doing an injustice to mmoffitt here, but that strawman argument is one held quite dearly and sincerely by many mouth-breathers currently holding American citizenship.

I'm also seeing a lot of "marriage has always been the union between one man and one woman," which certainly would have come as a surprise to a lot of the Old Testament patriarchs. Indeed, the Jewish practice of polygamy apparently came into conflict with Roman law, which called for monogamy, during the first few centuries of the Common Era. And of course, Islam still countenances the practice (void where prohibited), and the Mormons would re-embrace it in a heartbeat given the chance. So no, "one man and one woman" has never been a historical absolute. (I find, amusingly, the following rather surprising quote from Martin Luther, who I'm told is held in high esteem by many Protestants: "I confess that I cannot forbid a person to marry several wives, for it does not contradict the Scripture. If a man wishes to marry more than one wife he should be asked whether he is satisfied in his conscience that he may do so in accordance with the word of God. In such a case the civil authority has nothing to do in the matter.")

I don't see the risk to "traditional" marriage* that seems so apparent to many who are bewailing the ruling, unless they're afraid that Denny ("Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?") Hastert might now feel free to abandon his wife and take up with a strapping Wheaton College undergraduate PE major.

I wish for other reasons that my old sweetheart V was still around, but since she and her partner were among the 4000 couples who were issued marriage licenses in San Francisco during the monthlong period in early 2004 before the State Supreme Court closed that window, I'm particularly sorry that she's not around for this development.

"The arc of the moral universe is long but it bends toward justice." I'm far from certain that the sorry record of the human race supports this conclusion, but today's SCOTUS action does appear to kink in that direction.

cordially,

*(forgot to add): Now might be a good time to repeat my earlier recommendation that we abolish "marriage" and replace it with "Marriage Classic" (hetero/mono) and "New Marriage" (anything goes). In another twenty years, if we're lucky, the more enlightened among the cultural reactionaries—the demographic today that is grudgingly prepared to go as far as recognizing "civil unions"—will be harumphing "I don't care what they call it as long as they don't call it "Marriage Classic."
Expand Edited by rcareaga June 26, 2015, 12:40:00 PM EDT
New Thanks.
New I think Roberts fairly refuted the fallacy of comparing this with Loving.
In NONE of the prior cases was the definition of marriage altered. Here, it was. With no basis in law whatever.

But even more than that, there is no outline, no hint, no suggestion of the contribution that same-sex marriages will make to the State at all. It's easy to see why. Same-sex marriages are incapable of contributing to society what opposite sex marriages can, and most often do. In making a State policy, shouldn't the interests of the State be entertained at all?
Expand Edited by mmoffitt June 26, 2015, 01:36:08 PM EDT
New step into my parlor
"Same-sex marriages are incapable of contributing to society what opposite sex marriages can."

Explain.

ravenously,
New BIO 101. You take it?
New Re: BIO 101. You take it?
So my wife and I, in our sixties, are childless, and BIO 101 suggests that no efforts on our part, however energetic, are likely to change this state. Is our marriage then not legitimate? Here: take this shovel.

cordially,
New Nope.
It just means that your marriage is of no value to the State. Note that I am not saying your marriage is without value to you, only to the State.

But, your marriage does come at a cost to the State and I fail to see how it benefits the State to encourage relationships that are a net negative to the State.

Next?
New That's a rather obsolete argument.
Today, with overpopulation the root of most of our problems, especially ecological problems, that a gay marriage cannot produce children is a benefit to the State.

Also, gay couples often adopt, which is also a significant benefit to the State.

New I'm not blind to the overpopulation problem. But you assume facts not in evidence.
First, I haven't seen compelling evidence that suggests the benefits of a reduction in birth rates a State receives from childless marriages overwhelms the burdens placed upon the State by the cohabitation of the married couple. Let alone being denied the potential contributions to the State the children could make should they actually be born.

Second, the adoption question is an open one. There's no conclusive proof (yet) that children are better off being raised by a couple who do not fit the conventional mother/father roles. That may well be the case. We're in the midst of an experiment with the next generation. But it's far too early to make a claim about benefits or costs associated with being raised in a household headed by a same-sex couple. There simply is no conclusive evidence that the State receives the benefit of better performing citizens when those citizens were raised by same-sex couples as there is when they are raised by their biological parents. Until such evidence is presented, adoption by same-sex couples cannot be fairly characterized as either a benefit or a cost to the State.
New BTW, don't you think that Virginia...
felt that the state had an interest in tamping down the numbers of mulatto children?
New Yes. See. Marriage really was all about procreation!
New When a child is taken out of state care . . .
. . and is instead cared for by an income generating couple, that is a cost benefit to the State.

Increasing population requires the state to spend more on infrastructure to support that population, and more on human services as well. Taxes have to be higher with a growing population than for steady state due to a larger part of the population being under wage earning age.

The environmental costs of overpopulation are too obvious to require a study (except for the benefit a study may provide to a person preparing a doctoral thesis).
New You keep making these pronouncements in these threads...
"no value to the State". Really?

The State has much more interest in marriage than procreation. It has an interest in promoting the health, safety, and general welfare of its citizens. It has an interest in minimizing overbuilding of housing stocks (no "all adult humans must live in physically separated abodes!" laws). Marriage promotes lots and lots of benefits other than reproduction.

If the State only cared about procreation, then procreation would be a requirement of marriage.

If it only cared about procreation, why would there be over 1000 federal benefits of marriage?

It isn't.

Please stop bringing up this discredited argument.

Thanks. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: The State has much more interest in marriage than procreation.
Well, it might now. But historically it hasn't. Marriage, historically, was the means by which the State encouraged biological parents to remain with their biological offspring until those offspring reached maturity. I'm the first to admit it was not an optimal solution. But claiming that the State benefits in equal proportion from childbearing and non-childbearing marriages contains the implicit "truth" that children are of net zero value to the State. I will not and cannot do that.
New We've been arguing about the history for at least 11 years...
We're not likely to convince each other. ;-)

#135825.

Enjoy.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: The State has much more interest in marriage than procreation.
In that case, divorce ought to have been universally outlawed.
New It was in Rome.
New What what what!?
Benefit to the state is the criteria that you use when determining what should be lawful?

The state exist for us, not the other way around.

Confederate communist viewpoint is amazing.
New "Confederate communist viewpoint is amazing"
Yes, it's almost as though he has cherry-picked the most preposterous elements of each ideology. While this means that there is little of substantive value in his contributions, the entertainment content is considerable.

cordially,
New Umm...
My wife and I are also childless. You are claiming that our relationship is a net negative for the State. I would submit that this is the United States, not the Soviet Union. The people here ARE the State. Happy people in stable relationships are a positive for the state, not a negative. People here, who have too many children they can't afford or can't maintain are more of a load on society than my wife and I who work as much as we are able (considerable still)and maintain our property. As a side note, discounting what the Republicans think, our society is not a business; everything is not a financial profit/loss transaction, and we don't "manage out" the bottom 10% on a performance basis.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Would you leave your wife if you didn't have a marriage license?
I, respectfully, submit to you that the strength of the relationship you and your wife enjoy is not dependent upon a state issued marriage license. Further, if the existence of "happy people in stable relationships" is entirely dependent upon a State issued license, then how happy can the people truly be? How stable can be their relationships when it is only a legally binding document that keeps them together?

New easy-peasy
Let's assume hnick and his wife are not actually married. The (virtual) Mrs. hnick, whose parents have never liked her boyfriend, is mortally ill. Her parents bar hnick from the hospital room, and from the subsequent funeral service. Since the hnicks neglected to do proper estate planning, her entire assets go to the virtual in-laws.

Lord, the barrel is so tiny, and the fish so big.
New Ah, then we're talking of the selfish interests of the couple.
That's what's really important here, right?
New Re: Ah, then we're talking of the selfish interests of the couple.
Protecting the interests of the citizens (including couples) is the only legitimate business of the state. As long as there are varying rights in society that are dependent on a declared status e.g. marriage, all consenting adults are entitled to access that privilege. Now, in the instance of marriage, they have it. If this overly bothers you, well, pissfiddles... it's only the selfish interest of an individual they're messing with.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New The State also has an interest in seeing that it survives.
New The State has interests . . .
. . The State this, The State that, The State something else, always The State - geez, what a commie :)
New :0)
New My last comment in this thread
"You are not just wrong. You are wrong at every conceivable level of resolution. Zooming in on any part of your worldview finds beliefs exactly as wrong as your entire worldview."
Fractal wrongness
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Man, I gotta keep that link ... Oh lord, time sink from hell!
My new favorite term: Gish Gallop.

From which I find this little (unsurprisingly apropos) nugget: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Essay:77_Reasons
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook June 26, 2015, 07:46:40 PM EDT
Expand Edited by drook June 26, 2015, 08:11:51 PM EDT
New Things like that were on Pharyngula when PZ was debating. He eventually quit debating.
New Holy Cthulhu! ... why this thesis might be appended to Gödel's
Proof--thus bringing scale + relativity to human mouth noises!--at last.

{Alas, as with Dr.Strangelove's Doomsday device: it only works if everyone Knows about it} ;-/
..so as to return so many bat-shit crazies to their former status: being utterly ignored. For cause.
New The Majority opinion, again.
Objecting that this does not reflect an appropriate framing of the issue, the respondents refer to Washington v. Glucksberg, 521 U. S. 702, 721 (1997), which called for a “‘careful description’” of fundamental rights. They assert the petitioners do not seek to exercise the right to marry but rather a new and nonexistent “right to same-sex marriage.” Brief for Respondent in No. 14–556, p. 8. Glucksberg did insist that liberty under the Due Process Clause must be defined in a most circumscribed manner, with central reference to specific historical practices. Yet while that approach may have been appropriate for the asserted right there involved (physician-assisted suicide), it is inconsistent with the approach this Court has used in discussing other fundamental rights, including marriage and intimacy. Loving did not ask about a “right to inter-racial marriage”; Turner did not ask about a “right of inmates to marry”; and Zablocki did not ask about a “right of fathers with unpaid child support duties to marry.” Rather, each case inquired about the right to marry in its comprehensive sense, asking if there was a sufficient justification for excluding the relevant class from the right. See also Glucksberg, 521 U. S., at 752–773 (Souter, J., concurring in judgment); id., at 789–792 (B REYER , J., concurring in judgments).

That principle applies here. If rights were defined by who exercised them in the past, then received practices could serve as their own continued justification and new groups could not invoke rights once denied. This Court has rejected that approach, both with respect to the right to marry and the rights of gays and lesbians. See Loving 388 U. S., at 12; Lawrence, 539 U. S., at 566–567.

IOW, asked and answered.

Loving wasn't about whether the couple could get married in Virginia. They were married in DC. Loving was about (among other things) the state recognizing the marriage and the couple getting all the same benefits as non-mixed-race couples.

IOW, the same thing here.

The "definition" of marriage has certainly changed throughout the years. Even in the 20th century. After all, if you couldn't get a license, you couldn't legally marry.

Wikipedia:

The constitutionality of anti-miscegenation laws was upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court in the 1883 case Pace v. Alabama (106 U.S. 583). The Supreme Court ruled that the Alabama anti-miscegenation statute did not violate the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution. According to the court, both races were treated equally, because whites and blacks were punished in equal measure for breaking the law against interracial marriage and interracial sex. This judgment was overturned in 1967 in the Loving v. Virginia case, where the Supreme Court declared anti-miscegenation laws a violation of the Fourteenth Amendment and therefore unconstitutional.

[...]

In 1928, Senator Coleman Blease (Democrat of South Carolina) proposed an amendment that went beyond the previous ones, requiring that Congress set a punishment for interracial couples attempting to get married and for people officiating an interracial marriage. This amendment was also never enacted.

Your (and Roberts') arguments didn't carry the day. Sigh and move on. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New I cannot "Move On"...
"Moving on" means knowingly claiming a falsehood is true. Specifically, that any same-sex marriage will ever be the equal of mine for the simple reason that no same-sex marriage will ever contribute to the State what mine already has, and the contributions mine has made to the State will only multiply in the coming decades.

You're asking me to claim something is true that is plainly, flatly false. I didn't do that as a nine year old in the Soviet Union and I'll be damned if I'm going to start doing it now.
New Your so-called contribution
...did not require a marriage license. And what did the legally married parents of Mr. Dylann Storm Roof "contribute," exactly, to society?

less cordially,
New Re: ...did not require a marriage license.
I think we at last may have found some common ground. I know somewhere in the endless threads about this I've said that my commitment to my wife had nothing to do with our getting married; but a strong desire not to have my children listed as bastards or illegitimate. Knowing that they would be so classified were I not married when they were born, I proposed some 35 years ago only because I had found the woman with whom I wanted to have children.

I repeat myself again, but the stigma attached to out-of-wedlock births has largely disappeared in the last 30 years or so. Hence, marriage has about outlived its usefulness, notwithstanding today's ruling. I think the solution that makes the most sense now is that we just stop issuing marriage licenses to anyone. What a marriage is today is little more than a meaningless (to the State - who, after all, is being asked to issue these licenses) intensive issued by two people.
New I have a relative, shortly to be married
...who was technically a "bastard" when she was born (her parents married a few years later, and went on to have two more children). Her "illegitimacy" (of which she has been long aware) has not so far as I am aware cost her or anyone associated with her so much as a second of sleep these past thirty years. Your then-obsession with "stigma" says much more about the regional cultural climate in which you were raised than it does about the merits of in-wedlock childbirth.

As a thought experiment, I imagine one of your daughters coming out as a lesbian and asking your blessing for her marriage to another woman (and I'm thinking fat, butch, crewcut, and with more tattoos'n you could shake a stick at) with whom she's deeply in love. Would you extend your approval, or stand on non-ceremony?

cordially,
New Regional. That's funny. I was raised in Long Beach, California (ages 4 - 18 ).
Of course, I was raised by two people from rural North Carolina and that had greater influence than the "region" I lived in. And there was heavy stigma attached in their thinking and rearing, despite both being college grads and my father holding a Master's degree.

With both my daughters being in their early 20's (my youngest is aghast at my views on this subject), I've told them what I've always told them, "There's no point in getting married if you have no intention of having children." So would I object to one (or both) of them making the decision you suggest? No. I'd think it was a stupid decision, but no more so than if they decided to marry a man with no intention of having children. I can't imagine either of them asking for my "blessing" in any case. They know that my view is that it is their decision and, frankly, none of my business.
New Nor indeed, then, is it any of your business
...if a couple of guys want to tie the knot. Glad we got this settled.

cordially,
New In the final analysis. You're right. It isn't. But it is stupid.
New hey, christians beleive you can bang one of your slaves to whelp a get
that would get you locked up 8 ways from sideways today
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
     Two days in a row - (malraux) - (80)
         One can only hope. -NT - (mvitale)
         Whatever your position, ... - (mmoffitt) - (33)
             And there's nothing in that quote that requires the union to involve specific genders -NT - (drook)
             Hmm. - (malraux) - (1)
                 Cosign. Also, a bit of levity. - (Another Scott)
             To all above. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                 the Farce is strong in this one - (rcareaga)
                 Meh. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                     I think you just made my point. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                         You (and Roberts) don't acknowledge the "right to marry" for those who 'don't fit'. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Re: Marriage is a fundamental right that two adults can share. - (mmoffitt)
                         Finally figured out how to put this - (drook) - (1)
                             Good! I wonder if Alito got an answer like that (but am too disinterested now to check. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             Sullivan returned to blogging, for today. - (Another Scott)
             Richard Posner's take - (Another Scott) - (20)
                 You have to admit John Stuart Mill lays it out clearly. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     I don't have to admit ANYTHING! Oops, sorry. -NT - (drook)
                 Re: No more than biracial marriage does gay marriage harm people who don’t have or want to have such - (mmoffitt) - (17)
                     You just don't get this, do you. - (malraux) - (16)
                         You're right. I won't ever "get" this. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                             Marriage is not. About. Children. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                 Re: Marriage is not. About. Children. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     Not even wrong. -NT - (pwhysall)
                             Red herring. - (malraux)
                         Any tax benefit anyone else gets harms him financially. - (crazy) - (10)
                             s/him/State -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 Which makes no difference in the meaning of the post - (crazy)
                             No, he still could be. - (malraux) - (7)
                                 Of course the tax should apply equally. It did. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                     Nope - (drook) - (4)
                                         But you got that because of an expectation that you'd reproduce. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                             An expectation by whom? Legal cites, please. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                             You didn't make a claim about retroactive meaning - (drook) - (1)
                                                 I was trying to answer a question posed to me. - (mmoffitt)
                                     Re: Of course the tax should apply equally. It did. - (malraux)
         this morning's decision - (rcareaga) - (40)
             Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
             I think Roberts fairly refuted the fallacy of comparing this with Loving. - (mmoffitt) - (37)
                 step into my parlor - (rcareaga) - (28)
                     BIO 101. You take it? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (27)
                         Re: BIO 101. You take it? - (rcareaga) - (26)
                             Nope. - (mmoffitt) - (25)
                                 That's a rather obsolete argument. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                     I'm not blind to the overpopulation problem. But you assume facts not in evidence. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                         BTW, don't you think that Virginia... - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                             Yes. See. Marriage really was all about procreation! -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                         When a child is taken out of state care . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 You keep making these pronouncements in these threads... - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                     Re: The State has much more interest in marriage than procreation. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                         We've been arguing about the history for at least 11 years... - (Another Scott)
                                         Re: The State has much more interest in marriage than procreation. - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                             It was in Rome. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                 Eh? - (Another Scott)
                                 What what what!? - (crazy) - (1)
                                     "Confederate communist viewpoint is amazing" - (rcareaga)
                                 Umm... - (hnick) - (11)
                                     Would you leave your wife if you didn't have a marriage license? - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                         easy-peasy - (rcareaga) - (9)
                                             Ah, then we're talking of the selfish interests of the couple. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                 Re: Ah, then we're talking of the selfish interests of the couple. - (hnick) - (3)
                                                     The State also has an interest in seeing that it survives. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                         The State has interests . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                             :0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                             My last comment in this thread - (hnick) - (3)
                                                 Man, I gotta keep that link ... Oh lord, time sink from hell! - (drook) - (1)
                                                     Things like that were on Pharyngula when PZ was debating. He eventually quit debating. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                 Holy Cthulhu! ... why this thesis might be appended to Gödel's - (Ashton)
                 The Majority opinion, again. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                     I cannot "Move On"... - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                         Your so-called contribution - (rcareaga) - (5)
                             Re: ...did not require a marriage license. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                 I have a relative, shortly to be married - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                     Regional. That's funny. I was raised in Long Beach, California (ages 4 - 18 ). - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                         Nor indeed, then, is it any of your business - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                             In the final analysis. You're right. It isn't. But it is stupid. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             hey, christians beleive you can bang one of your slaves to whelp a get - (boxley)
         okay now I am totally confused - (boxley) - (3)
             confused is your default state -NT - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 rather be an asshole than a self righteous asshole Dr. Villega -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     Thou sayest. -NT - (rcareaga)

Be still, my beating heart.
278 ms