IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New BLS - Record (since 2000) job openings in the US.

Calculated Risk:

Note that hires (dark blue) and total separations (red and light blue columns stacked) are pretty close each month. This is a measure of labor market turnover. When the blue line is above the two stacked columns, the economy is adding net jobs - when it is below the columns, the economy is losing jobs.

Jobs openings increased in April to 5.376 million from 5.109 million in March.

The number of job openings (yellow) are up 22% year-over-year compared to April 2014.

Quits are up 11% year-over-year. These are voluntary separations. (see light blue columns at bottom of graph for trend for "quits").

This is another solid report. It is a good sign that job openings are over 5 million - at an all time high, and that quits are increasing solidly year-over-year.

Happy hunting!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Ain't going so great here
out of work for 4 months, have had 3 face-to-face interviews, and 0 offers. Too many places screen me out for lacking years of experience with A, B, C ... etc technologies. And the recruiters admit there's little they can do for me in that regard. They all say "take a class" but admit that putting it on the resume won't do a thing to counter the years of experience requirements.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New Go consulting instead of applying for jobs
New any company bigger than a mom-and-pop
has a preferred vendor list for recruiting agencies and consulting companies. If you're not on it, you're not getting in the door.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
New So consult to mom-and-pops
JFDI.
New So?
So go work with a recruiting agency or a reseller to get your foot in the door.

I've been an independently self-employed consultant for more than a year, and for most of that time, I've had a pimp that got me into another pimp that got me into my end-client. I fly every week from O'Hare to Dulles, work Mon-Thu in Herndon, and then WFH on Friday.

These things exist out there. Go find 'em.

I tell you what, it sure beats sitting on my ass at home doing nothing.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Re: So?

So go work with a recruiting agency or a reseller to get your foot in the door.

Been trying that for the past 4 months. Even applying for jobs in application support, without success so far.

New Not the same thing.
As I understand it, you've been using recruiters to help you find employment. Mike is saying use recruiters to help you find a consulting gig.

http://programmers.stackexchange.com/questions/76659/how-is-a-software-developer-different-from-a-software-consultant-what-makes

Best of luck. HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New This.
Mike is saying use recruiters to help you find a consulting gig.
Yep. This. All of this. Then some more. Start a company. Do 1099 consulting. Charge $100-150 an hour to start. You have skills. Exploit them.

This year is set up to be the best year of my career.

Go get it.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New It can work.
For the last couple years, contracting is the only thing I could get. Still is, so far.
I worked with a number of contracting companies and 2 of them got me gigs. Money's ok, but contractors are a lot like toilet paper: quite useful at times, but eminently disposable.
I'm pushing 65, and I can no longer expect anything better for the next 10 years or so. Oh, well.
Best of luck.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New same boat
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
     BLS - Record (since 2000) job openings in the US. - (Another Scott) - (10)
         Ain't going so great here - (lincoln) - (9)
             Go consulting instead of applying for jobs -NT - (pwhysall) - (8)
                 any company bigger than a mom-and-pop - (lincoln) - (7)
                     So consult to mom-and-pops - (pwhysall)
                     So? - (mvitale) - (5)
                         Re: So? - (lincoln) - (4)
                             Not the same thing. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                 This. - (mvitale)
                             It can work. - (hnick) - (1)
                                 same boat -NT - (boxley)

Its ZIMA!
99 ms