IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New concur
I knew that the bank password was weak, the equivalent of a screen door with a hook-and-eye "lock." Moreover, it was the last remaining "important" account that used a variation on that old password. I count myself fortunate to have got off with a brief scare.

I've heard it said by IT boffins that any password you can remember is already not secure. Digression follows:

In my childhood and teens I had this odd Aspergerish compulsion to maintain a personal calendar: I used to amuse/irritate my friends with this (Them: "Remember when we all went out to Zuma Beach after that [redacted] all-nighter so we could watch the sun rise? And then realized we were on the wrong side of the country for that?" Me: "Oh, yes, that would have been April 19, 1969"). This faded out in my very early twenties, and from about 1973 forward I'm no likelier to pinpoint the date of a trivial event than the next guy.

That said, I can remember the exact dates of my first dozen or fifteen bonks. Hold that thought. I now record my passwords in a Field Notes notebook (two, actually), a medium impervious to most known electronic monitoring. These useful booklets also include serial numbers, usernames, email identities linked to product registrations, et cetera.

I have a formula for processing bonk partner name/dates into passwords, so for important accounts, these passwords are recorded merely with a two-digit numerical code (01, 02, 03...) representing the erotic sequence, run through the formula, and entered. So, for example, if I wish to look in on my account in the Caymans (as if!) I consult my little notebook, note that it's "05" (ah, Drusilla!), run the particulars through my blender, and there we are.

However, I know a few people who swear by so-called "password managers." Anyone here use these?

cautiously,
New Password storage.
I use a simple app on my phone that keeps an encrypted database, so I transcribe passwords as I need to. But I also trust browser storage for a number of sites (not banking or Paypal).

Wade.
New Here's where I got my rule
https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/06/write_down_your.html

I believed it was true then, I believe it's still true now.
--

Drew
New XKCD to the rescue
New :-)
New That, too
Now find me a bank site that allows more than 12 characters.
--

Drew
New Ford Credit will only take 8
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Re: concur
I use 1Password, and have for years. I don't know my passwords to any* websites that I log in to. Each website gets a different password, and by default I try to make it as long as possible (1Password's current limit is 50 characters.) Of course there are always numbers and specials thrown in for good measure.

It's been a great way to see who's secure and who's not. For example, about a year ago, I used 1Password to set my password at a bank. It happily let me set my password. My M.O. when using 1Password to set my password is to set it, then immediately log out and back in to test that it works. Well, the bank's website let me set my password. It was stored in the vault. I logged out, and could not log back in. After a call to the bank's customer support line, we determined that while the website would allow me to SET my password with certain special characters, it would not actually let me LOGIN using that same password with those certain special characters in it. *smh*

Additionally, I just went round and round with a different customer support person about this on a different website. While the problem didn't actually end up being password-related, I submit this for fun: http://blog.mikevitale.com/2015/05/11/peloton-customer-support/

* Not exactly true. I know a couple; they tend to be the ones that I cannot use my fingerprint on my phone to log in with.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Entertaining story.
I've become convinced that computers are no longer deterministic.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
New I get annoyed at password restrictions.
Having written several systems over the years to accept anything in a password (barring the obvious checks, like length), I know there is no excuse for anything less.

On a related note, it's amusing when colleagues realize my systems also allow spaces in usernames. :-)

Wade.
     so I was careless... - (rcareaga) - (29)
         does the mail app know about the new password? dumb question I know -NT - (boxley)
         Maybe had nothing to do with you - (drook)
         this is starting to look nasty - (rcareaga) - (3)
             resolved? - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 Glad you got it worked out. Two factor? - (Another Scott)
                 Do you know for sure that you were actually compromised? - (drook)
         a day later... - (rcareaga)
         sheesh! - (rcareaga) - (21)
             Likely scenario - (scoenye) - (10)
                 concur - (rcareaga) - (9)
                     Password storage. - (static)
                     Here's where I got my rule - (drook) - (4)
                         XKCD to the rescue - (static) - (3)
                             :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                             That, too - (drook) - (1)
                                 Ford Credit will only take 8 -NT - (malraux)
                     Re: concur - (mvitale) - (2)
                         Entertaining story. - (Another Scott)
                         I get annoyed at password restrictions. - (static)
             password management - (boxley) - (9)
                 Chase doesn't allow special characters. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                     Too many sites do passwords wrong. - (static)
                 Number substitution isn't recommended any more. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                     I like writing down - (drook) - (3)
                         so you go in person to pay all your bills? Nice to have that much free time -NT - (boxley) - (2)
                             Not the point - (drook) - (1)
                                 Having my wallet messed with in middle school taught me that it's not good to depend on it... - (Another Scott)
                     not necessarily - (rcareaga) - (1)
                         Re your last line: yes, that -NT - (drook)

Don't take the name of the rutabaga in vain!
136 ms