IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 2 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Well, that wasn't expected . . .
I happened to check out eBay for any interesting cookbooks (I don't do that a lot any more). Found one "The South African Culinary Tradition" - about the development of Dutch South African cuisine.

The authoress listed a number of plants giving their Dutch-African names, and conveniently, their scientific names. So I decided to check if they were on my Clovegarden site.

The first one I checked was Waterblommetjie. This caused me to have to do some reorganization, specifically put in a page for Water Plantains and attach the Arums as belonging to that group as well as move a couple of former orphans in along with Waterblommetjie (a rather odd name, part English and part Dutch).

Water Plantains

This left my "Oddones" page with only two entries left, Ginkgo and Pineapple. Ginko didn't belong there in the first place, because it isn't a flowering plant, which would leave only pineapple. Clearly it was time to empty that page completely.

So, I decided to make a page for Ginkgo, and right away things got complicated, so I now have a whole new group on the index page:

Seed Ferns, Cycads and Ginkgos etc.

I hadn't even imagined there was anything edible in the unappetizing looking and rather toxic Cycads. Well, I guess dinosaurs ate them, but they were probably resistant to neurotoxins.

That left only Pineapples, so I had to make a page for them. They are Poales, closely related to grasses and grains - but they don't look much like those at all. Now they have their own proper page:

Bromeliads

I fear what I will find when I check the next South African plant.

New I dunno
Squint your eyes just right and a pineapple looks a little like a grass seadhead.
--

Drew
New which gives me opportunity to point out
New Waterblommetjie is all Dutch
Water is the same in both English and Dutch.
Blommetjie, these days, would be closer to Flemish than Dutch.

-tjie is a diminutive. Contemporary Dutch uses the official "bloempje". Flemish dialect speakers still use "blommetje".

The whole thing translates as "small water flower".
     Well, that wasn't expected . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
         I dunno - (drook)
         which gives me opportunity to point out - (crazy)
         Waterblommetjie is all Dutch - (scoenye)

It's only a few more levels till we're throwing lions to the lawyers in arena combat.
38 ms