IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New migration
At some point this year or next I will probably move beyond my trusty 24" iMac (vintage 2008, I believe) and acquire a more advanced model—probably still an iMac rather than a Pro—that will likely see me to the end of my career in 2019.

But Apple has killed Firewire, and I have a couple of these drives (including one that has kept on ticking for a dozen years) here and at work that I'd like to let down easy. Looking for bridge solutions.

cord-ially,
New Apple sells such adapters.
New Yet another $29 adapter.
Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter.

I haven't tried that myself, but it (or something like it) should work.

There's a FW800 to FW400 coupler that might be handy, too. (I assume you have all the other cables you need already.)

HTH!

Cheers,
Scott.
New I'm oddly sentimental
...about the one Firewire drive that has meekly spun these past twelve or thirteen years after other, younger drives have failed both at home and at work. This one is more like the legendary Centennial Light in nearby Livermore.

cordially,
New Be careful turning it off.
Things like that seem to like to die when going from power off to power on, at least in my case.

We had an X-ray system die at work this month after it was turned off for the first time in several years (one of the power supplies that seems to die about every 10 years died again). :-/

No doubt you're going to tell me that you turn it off every day. ;-)

Good luck with the transfer. Don't depend on it working though (have other backups)!

Cheers,
Scott.
(Whose grandpa had an ancient light bulb on his porch, but it wasn't quite that old. Maybe 40 years?)
New ^^ This
Take a copy of the contents of that disk whilst it's still spinning.
New You could just use your USB attached Time Machine hard drive.
Your OSX version on both machines probably needs to be current.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     migration - (rcareaga) - (6)
         Apple sells such adapters. -NT - (static)
         Yet another $29 adapter. - (Another Scott)
         I'm oddly sentimental - (rcareaga) - (2)
             Be careful turning it off. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 ^^ This - (pwhysall)
         You could just use your USB attached Time Machine hard drive. - (a6l6e6x)

No matter what I accomplish in this life, nobody's going to sculpt my head in thermoplastic resin and make it spit water into the bedrooms of sick children.
62 ms