IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New further reflections on credit card fraud
So, about twenty years ago I used a Bank of America Visa card to purchase gasoline. This kind of transaction was unprecedented, and although it went through I returned home that evening to find an anxious message on my answering machine: had I in fact purchased fuel in Point Reyes Station earlier in the day? I had, I responded, and thanks for asking.

This was, like, 1992 or 1993.

Artificial Intelligence has come a long way since then.

So why, I wonder, did Chase Bank's AI sleep through these considerations?

The account holder was 93 years old.
The account holder had no record whatsoever of online transactions.
The account holder's most recent charges had all been for ambulances and hospitals.

Jesus fucking Christ on an Intel 8008, HAL, but surely we can do better than this in CE 2015, can't we?

(shakes head),
New Ghosting
Stealing the identities of the dead has become an industry. Obituaries that overshare are a source of vital information that thieves use to open new accounts in the names of those who are no longer in a position to be on guard.

There should be a special place in hell.
New Re: Ghosting
Given that, surely the algorithms ought to have advanced in two decades? I mean, Chase is going to wind up eating these charges if they don't want their nearest branch firebombed*, the deductible of which will surely amount to more than $200. The technology that will make this post blip faintly at the NSA ought to have been able to register the irregular transactions at the end of der Alte's life, nicht?

cordially,

*Note to NSA: Kidding. Kidding! Geez, we didn't used to be afraid that this sort of thing would put us in Gitmo. Good thing we live in The Land of the Freeā€”not.
New The merchant will eat it
FTC says the consumer is only liable for the first $50. Visa/MC usually pick that up. The merchant will get debited. Perhaps their insurance will cover them.

You will have to do more than $50 worth of paperwork.
New Re: The merchant will eat it
I will do as much paperwork as is required. Chase will not get a single fucking penny.
New Discover picked up a charge to buy a Starbucks value card.
Something we had never bought before. They called and then shut the Discover card down.

On the other hand, every time you buy gas with it, you need to enter the ZIP code. That's even if the gas station in that ZIP code. Sheesh!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New When I worked a contract out of state 10 years ago
I went 3 months paying for gas, groceries, miscellaneous stuff, and beer - not a peep out of Discover. I then used it to charge a livery service from the town to the nearby big city airport to fly home for Thanksgiving. THAT they noticed. They called the house, wife explained the situation to them, said "yes the charge is valid" and Discover went away. Used the card for another 4 months without hearing back from them.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
     further reflections on credit card fraud - (rcareaga) - (6)
         Ghosting - (gcareaga) - (3)
             Re: Ghosting - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 The merchant will eat it - (gcareaga) - (1)
                     Re: The merchant will eat it - (rcareaga)
         Discover picked up a charge to buy a Starbucks value card. - (a6l6e6x)
         When I worked a contract out of state 10 years ago - (lincoln)

I'd sooner jump up and down on one foot.
309 ms