IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New classic brain teaser
(cross-posted at the Book of Face):

Wittgenstein's Ribbon: Ludwig Wittgenstein used to pose a form of this problem to his students at Cambridge University in order to demonstrate that they could not always rely on their intuition: the circumference of the earth at the equator is 24,900 miles. Assume for the sake of the problem that the earth’s surface is absolutely uniform: no mountains, no valleys. Given a uniform sphere of 24,900 miles, imagine a ribbon tied around the equator so that it touches the surface at every point.

Now, we want to increase the length of this ribbon so that its still circles the equator, but that it is now one inch above the surface at every point.

How much longer does the ribbon have to be to increase the gap between ribbon and surface by one inch over the course of 24,900 miles?

Them as remember high school geometry will arrive at the solution without undue difficulty, but the answer will surprise many. For extra credit, run the problem again using as the sphere a basketball of arbitrary but approximately real-world circumference. Smack your forehead. Register your admiration in the comments.

cordially,
New You shall have some pi! :)
No matter the original size of the circle when you add 2 inches (1" at each end) to the diameter the circumference goes up 2 pi inches (i.e. 6.28... inches).
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New and if you use the formular pi=r squared you could be sure the ribbon was long enough
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Re: classic brain teaser
Give them the twelve pearl problem.
New 20 second intervals
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New The pearl probem
The solution is too difficult to explain.
     classic brain teaser - (rcareaga) - (5)
         You shall have some pi! :) - (a6l6e6x)
         and if you use the formular pi=r squared you could be sure the ribbon was long enough -NT - (boxley)
         Re: classic brain teaser - (gcareaga) - (2)
             20 second intervals -NT - (boxley)
             The pearl probem - (rcareaga)

*snort*
76 ms