IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New charming, not
We couldn't find the old gentleman's credit card among his effects. The latest statement suggests that some helpful orderly started making free with it online beginning a little over three weeks before his death.

balefully,
New that is despicable,
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New :-(
Not unexpected, though. J's mother's engagement ring disappeared when she was in the nursing home.

:-(

I hope it's not too big a hassle to get resolved. It should be the bank's responsibility, of course.

Cheers,
Scott.
New We've got two lawyers in the family
Once I have the death certificate in hand, which I hope will be in the next couple of days, I can decouple the estate's checking account from the "autopay" by which they'd otherwise grab the entire balance (about $200) in another fortnight. For the rest, I think that I can easily demonstrate that the old gentleman did not do online commerce, had no access to a computer and was barely conscious during the period in which these charges were racked up.

cordially,
New hopefully the local constables can put down their donuts long enough to prosecute
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Sometimes they don't wait until the hospital admission.
Back in 1972 in that wreck I've spoken of that killed three family friends and severely injured my mother? Well, somehow before the ambulance got there some helpful travellers along Interstate 5 stopped to (1) drink the beer that the driver had put in a cooler with some ice (they only found water in it) and (2) dislocate my still living mother's ring finger when they stole her engagement ring. The other two women in the car who died (one of whom still had some breath sounds on admission to the ER) also had their engagement rings stolen. So, these truly fine Americans and wonderful human beings stole from a decapitated woman and two severely injured (one mortally) women who were still breathing. Pillars of the community, that lot.
New Horrible. :-(
New that certainly gets the gold medal for ghoulishness
I got nuthin'. Interstate 5? California? Whereabouts?

I trust it was not the stoners, who are already the objects of your understandable resentment, who drained the beer and pried off the rings. Might the vultures have been mere drunks, and if you knew that, would you have remained disposed to cut them some slack on the grounds that, unlike potheads, they did not make the claim so implausible to you that they were not brain-damaged in consequence of their preference for recreational intoxicants?

cordially,
New South of San Clemente.
They were heading to Torrey Pines for a golf week-end. I honestly can't say if it was the stoners who stole from them. It's possible, I suppose. The worst of them suffered a broken arm and the other two were ambulatory when the ambulance arrived. But I choose not to believe that even stoners, having seen that they'd killed at least two people for certain and likely killed two more would take the time to rip the jewelry from their victims. Even I will give them credit for that much humanity.

As far your hypothetical goes, again, I cannot say. This happened exactly 13 days after my 13th birthday. I wouldn't hazard a guess as to what my reaction would have been had it been alcohol instead of pot. It likely would have been different. It might have screwed my thinking up to the point that I became one of the herd of apologists insisting that "Alcohol hurts people and Pot never hurts anyone" that are very de rigueur. ;0)
New doped driving
On the very few occasions on which I drove thus impaired (a distant era indeed), I was paranoid and highly unhappy with the circumstances that had placed me behind the wheel (contra mmoffitt's premises that stoners are uniformly in denial in this matter). My driving, over the course of relatively short distances on each occasion, was accordingly conservative, slow. In later years I know that I occasionally took the wheel with what would today be deemed impermissible blood alcohol levels in a spirit of blithe indifference.

I drive so little anymore (I noticed the other week that my parallel parking chops have pretty much withered and died) that I'd never operate a motor vehicle at any level of chemical impairment.

cordially,
Expand Edited by rcareaga May 12, 2015, 04:04:24 PM EDT
Expand Edited by rcareaga May 12, 2015, 04:04:32 PM EDT
New you are the perfect example
I make no claims that smoking does not impair your judgment and slow your reflexes. Of course it does. But stats and studies show that you are aware of it, and alter your driving according.

Does every one? No. Most young males are crappy drivers, enjoying the rush of adrenaline by going too fast and taking too many chances. They think they will live forever, and do not account for the deadly damage possible. And I assume smoking does little to alter this behavior. But mm will spend the rest of his life demonizing based on a single incident,no matter what the facts show otherwise.
New Precisely
mm will spend the rest of his life demonizing based on a single incident

It was a traumatic incident, of course, but he will never leave off drawing unwontedly broad conclusions from the tragedy. Presumably he will assist Indiana in maintaining the present mediaeval strictures and penalties long after the civilized portions of the country have given up on these.

cordially,
New Drunk vs. doped
A drunk driver will blow through a stop sign. A doped driver will stop and wait for it to turn green.
New Impairment
I don't risk driving impaired and will only have one adult beverage with a meal and a long wait if I have to drive. My friends N&L prefer to pick me up for drinks since I don't start to become fun until the second beer.
New Yes, all relly good science is posted on "jointblog". Jesus.
New your favorite method of arguing this point
Is kill the messenger.
Read the links.

Jesus? Yup, you need a sky fairy to back your position. Ahh, magical thinking.
Expand Edited by crazy May 15, 2015, 07:58:30 AM EDT
New Let me put it this way.
Drug users and their dealers claim drugs are not only harmless, but are an actual benefit to society. Film at 11.

As far as my understanding of "science" goes, I have two undergraduate degrees in science and a Master of Science in Mathematics.
New and yet you still shoot the messenger
Oh, of course, you set up a straw man to ridicule first.
You seethe in a dark place.
Anger is a result of unmet expectations.
And you are very angry.
What expectation did you have that the universe failed to provide for?
New this one is pretty straightforward
http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordpress/healthcare-triage-news-marijuana-intoxication-and-driving/

No effect on accident rates. None. Report from the NHTSA. Link to full report under the video. Go to page 6 on the report for the numbers.

Gonna shoot that messenger too?

On the other hand, I'll throw you a bone:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150518191604.htm

Of course, since I agree with you that kids should not be touching it there is no change in my position based on it.
Expand Edited by crazy May 18, 2015, 10:51:36 PM EDT
New There's just not much science behind this either way at this point.
Emphasis Mine.
In a paper published today in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), researchers for the first time comprehensively describe existing abnormalities in brain function and structure of long-term marijuana users with multiple magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) techniques. Findings show chronic marijuana users have smaller brain volume in the orbitofrontal cortex (OFC), a part of the brain commonly associated with addiction, but also increased brain connectivity.

“We have seen a steady increase in the incidence of marijuana use since 2007,“said Dr. Francesca Filbey, Associate Professor in the School of Behavioral and Brain Sciences at the University of Texas at Dallas and Director of the Cognitive Neuroscience Research in Addictive Disorders at the Center for BrainHealth. “However, research on its long-term effects remains scarce despite the changes in legislation surrounding marijuana and the continuing conversation surrounding this relevant public health topic.

http://www.brainhealth.utdallas.edu/blog_page/study-shows-marijuanas-long-term-effects-on-the-brain
New Well, that sucks! :(
Vultures!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     charming, not - (rcareaga) - (21)
         that is despicable, -NT - (boxley)
         :-( - (Another Scott) - (18)
             We've got two lawyers in the family - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 hopefully the local constables can put down their donuts long enough to prosecute -NT - (boxley)
             Sometimes they don't wait until the hospital admission. - (mmoffitt) - (15)
                 Horrible. :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
                 that certainly gets the gold medal for ghoulishness - (rcareaga) - (13)
                     South of San Clemente. - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                         knee jerk - (crazy) - (11)
                             doped driving - (rcareaga) - (4)
                                 you are the perfect example - (crazy) - (1)
                                     Precisely - (rcareaga)
                                 Drunk vs. doped - (gcareaga)
                                 Impairment - (gcareaga)
                             Yes, all relly good science is posted on "jointblog". Jesus. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                 your favorite method of arguing this point - (crazy) - (4)
                                     Let me put it this way. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                         and yet you still shoot the messenger - (crazy) - (2)
                                             this one is pretty straightforward - (crazy) - (1)
                                                 There's just not much science behind this either way at this point. - (mmoffitt)
         Well, that sucks! :( - (a6l6e6x)

I heartily endorse this event or product!
171 ms