IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Keep waiting.
I think any current (non-Apple) phone you get will look like a turtle in a year or two. Especially 64-bit Android. Qualcomm is under a lot of pressure to get their 64-bit chips right.

I was tempted by an LG G3 for a while, and now the G4, but I'm going to wait some more. I really don't use my Nexus 4 all that much, so getting something new isn't a priority. It's good enough.

Apple - they're going to be working on making their Watch thingy take off. It's hard to see them doing much with their phones for a year or more. Probably more RAM, maybe some new sensor gizmo. But nothing Earth-shattering as a phone or OS.

Winders Phone - dunno. Every time they update the OS they orphan reasonably current phones. Seems like you're paying them to be a beta tester until they find something that tens of millions will buy. If it does what you want, great. But ...

Lenovo might be worth watching (, but they're Android -) they seem to be trying to make a go of things. And Sony is still hanging in there, but they're Android too (though there were rumors last year of a Winders phone from them). You're probably stuck with MS/Nokia in the near term if you want Winders, and their market share is tiny. They may not be able to afford to put snazzy cameras in their phones much longer. And OldNokia supposedly is going to be making Android phones in 2016, but who knows.

My $0.02.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Stop with the Androids.
I cannot use it enjoyably. It's fundamentally at odds with the way I do my mobile doin's. Also, all the current manufacturers are still shite at rolling out updates. In fact, even Google is crap at it (seriously; my N7 got Lollipop soooooo long after release), so there's no hope for mere Samsung/LG/Sony/HTC/Motorola mortals. Also, all those skins (Touchwiz/Sense/Blur/LG Thing/Sony Thing) are shit. So, in summary: no.

I disagree with your analysis of Apple and MS. Neither company is even remotely short of resources or money. They can afford to do literally anything they want short of manned spaceflight to Mars. And probably even that. At the same time as doing everything else they're doing.

Whether Apple will realise that I'd be super-chuffed if they'd just stop dicking with their SKUs and put the same damn camera in their £500 "low end" phones as they do in their £700 "high end" phones, I dunno. iPhone selection used to be easy; what colour do you want, and how much storage do you want. The Apple "Watch" watch is a big noise at the moment, but how much Apple will focus on a product that is only guaranteed to sell to a minority of existing iPhone users, I dunno. Lots now, probably not so much in a month or two.

Whether Microsoft will just go "ah, fuck it" and put the best everything they've got into a hero phone and sell it to me for £500 (or whatever on-contract), I dunno. They seem totally allergic to this. That said, pretty much all the current range will get Windows 10, so there's that. What they did with 7.5 was definitely uncool, though.

Oh, Blackberry? Sorry, hahahaha. No.

God fucking damn it.

>sigh
New But the unpronounceable name has to count for something, right?
--

Drew
     Next phone plans? - (pwhysall) - (8)
         I like the $39 windows phone, throw away tech indeed -NT - (boxley)
         Keep waiting. - (Another Scott) - (2)
             Stop with the Androids. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                 But the unpronounceable name has to count for something, right? -NT - (drook)
         Here's an idea - (drook) - (3)
             Re: Here's an idea - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 I had to keep checking the URL to make sure it wasn't the Onion -NT - (drook) - (1)
                     Best review comment: - (pwhysall)

Why use a scalpel when a chainsaw is handy.
105 ms