Getting s/n shortly, and will check status of machine when I find out about the snooper ap's usage.

As I think she paid 2600ish - this oughtta be in their 'Workstation' category - though, cutely they seem to have changed their whole Model-numbering scheme, as I peruse the site.

Methinks she's stuck with Windoze versions at least for now - via a hefty teacher discount on the 3-D s/ware. Off hand though - I can't think of a better excuse for her to learn Linux (she says she's willing) than for the stability and no doubt raw speed.. IF there emerges an equiv. ap she can use, as capable as 3-D Max.

It seems that a grapics guru from ILM (in Marin) is teaching a class as a service, and she's been taking notes madly and.. he'll help. Which is fine - 'cause I can't, re the ap. Says he knows workarounds for glitches which Autodesk doesn't.. ie a virtuoso kinda guy. What does This remind one of? (Is Autodesk the WordStar of the '00s now?)

{sigh} - at least she's capable & willing to absorb some layers of stuff. Bet you wish more of your clients were. If she can grok the above, will aim her toward your suggested alternatives as Stage 2. Next I think she just has to learn the lore for 3-D and take advantage of super instruction. She's in no doubt about the POS ME which Dell saddled her with.

Hmmm - Compaq Alpha ES40. You BAAD. Up to 4 proc. Swinky..
OK plenty here to ruminate on - thanks for most useful info.

And hey.. I gotta change out a bunch of electrolytics in a couple of 454As too! Sometime. But first - some 485s. (If you changed all the PS ones - it's good for another 30 years) BTW there's a good Yahoo group with lots of old Tek people, some of whom smart enough to fabricate new TD-bridges for the early sampling scopes, which parts are pure unobtanium.

And the *%*% fancy but small Tek 284 pSec pulser doesn't.. And That fast-TD just may not be available ay-tall, if that's what died :(
Wanna diagnose a 284? I wonder how fragile those TDs are, with respect to suffering an odd bias level at some time or other. At least I know fershure that the 7854 triggers beyond a GHz, displays nice sinewave at 1.0

(Yeah, I can guess about your 'spare' time. Still, it's tough.. my not knowing Everything)

Cheers,

Ashton