IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Faith" leads to stupidity.
from BBC:

In New Zealand:
Twenty women, some with arthritis, had for years been using the Central Southland Presbyterian Parish hall to practise the martial art, known for its slow and gentle movements. But the parish council says they can no longer do so because tai chi doesn't fit with the church's values
o o o
In 2012, a priest banned a yoga class from using a church hall in the English town of Eastleigh after saying it was "not compatible with Catholicism". The local Catholic Diocese said at the time that banning "non-Christian activities" was a matter on which individual priests should decide.
Is denial of exercise to others a power trip for the local clergy or is just lack of rational thought.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Lots of practitioners of tai chi and yoga attach spiritual connotations
Obviously you can practice the physical aspects of both without the spirituality, but I can understand a religion saying, "You don't practice someone else's rituals in our house."
--

Drew
New Precisely.
Although I feel it should be said that Nintendo's Wii Fit was built around Yoga moves. :-) Unless you count allegiance to the church of Nintendo, there is absolutely no spirituality in the product.

Wade.
New Weird
Why didn't the Tai Chi-ers just say "Tell us why it doesn't fit with the Church's values, then."?
New A stab: Ch'i is not a soul. We don't believe in Ch'i.
New A Piet Hein Grook explains..
(~ from memory + lazy)

As Pastor X slips out of bed
He puts a neat disguise on
That halo 'round his priestly head
is really his horizon

(with drawing of halo at about eye-level . . . )
New (image)

Well done! :-)

Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
     "Faith" leads to stupidity. - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
         Lots of practitioners of tai chi and yoga attach spiritual connotations - (drook) - (1)
             Precisely. - (static)
         Weird - (pwhysall) - (1)
             A stab: Ch'i is not a soul. We don't believe in Ch'i. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         A Piet Hein Grook explains.. - (Ashton) - (1)
             (image) - (Another Scott)

You ever read Wambaugh?
44 ms