IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New India isn't anywhere near as vegetarian as Americans think.
Goat has traditionally been the most common meat in India, and fish has been very popular for hundreds of years. Chicken not so much, it's very expensive there and reserved for special occasions. Pigs are eaten in a few regions, but not widely, because they compete directly with people for food resources, so are not economical.

India (2012) is the world's 5th largest producer of beef, the 7th largest consumer of beef, and the largest exporter of beef. Beef consumption has been rising rapidly in India and has now surpassed all other meats combined (much of this beef is actually buffalo, but a lot of cow is included). The government says there are 3,600 licensed slaughter houses in India, and at least 30,000 illegal slaughter houses.

I didn't serve any beef because I actually prefer other meats in most cases.

New We had several Indian immigrants at a previous job.
Vegetarianism was about 50% representative of a (very small) sample of 7-8 people.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Halloween was fun
At a previous job someone brought in Halloween candy. One girl, recently arrived from India for the first time, was examining wrappers very closely. She finally asked someone, "Is any of this vegetarian? I don't know what the ingredients are."

After a few minutes of looking, we all had to admit we didn't know what was in any of it either.
--

Drew
New That sample is pretty close.
A 2006 survey showed about 40% of Indians are vegetarian.

The fly in the ointment: nearly all these vegetarians are strong on dairy products. To give milk, a cow has to get knocked up once a year and drop a calf. Half those calves are male, so can't be sent to work in the milk mines. They have to be sent into the veal market, legally or illegally.

That is why I state on the Clovegarden site that it is impossible to be an "ethical vegetarian" if you are an "ovo lacto" vegetarian. You are as guilty of the slaughter of veal calves as if you were a meat eater.
     English music, Indian food. - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
         Whole spread looks good - (drook)
         But, but, but you had actual meat protein! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
             India isn't anywhere near as vegetarian as Americans think. - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                 We had several Indian immigrants at a previous job. - (malraux) - (2)
                     Halloween was fun - (drook)
                     That sample is pretty close. - (Andrew Grygus)

No. Only those you need.
36 ms