in the early '70s I knew several who put up with the insulting-wages, disrespect and other aspects of an utterly clueless and daily taking-for-granted.
I marveled at their enduring tolerance, until realizing that this derived from no mere passive acceptance ... some caste thing, say wherein some past karma was being paid off? (and must be borne.)

No, they were abiding that which I was sure I could not--rather: would not--accept. (In retrospect I think these personal examples gave me a first inkling of Mother Teresa's forbearance.) Without sanctimony they chose to suspend judgment of whatever was causing the then-cluelessness, though I wondered then as now: if they could discern when they were encountering a lifelong pattern and not just aging-infirmity.. y'know?

(The Lesson was embarrassing enough, for a time. But insufficient to instill that level of adulthood here, in any reliable way.) Of course too, there are many such caretakers who are there simply because they have no alternative Mammon-approved job prospects. I suppose that these have learned to seethe silently, usually.)

Sorry, have no idea of a proper response to pureed solipsism in a parent; Probably I'd go to any length just to duck any idea of confrontation ..so late in the game. Luck.