Only two things are certain: the universe and human stupidity;
and I'm not certain about the universe.
-- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
New Bad-finger: I Know that, dammit! :[
Also Shiklgruber sans an \ufffd :-\ufffd

Now can either of us spel,

Iosip Vissarionovich Djugashvili right?
(or am I mixing up Tito AND Stalin..?)
"Steel" indeed - at least Stalin's moniker sorta 'meant' something!

WTF might 'Hitler' sorta mean, homonymically speaking?
(Obviously... Sieg! Shiklgruber! might not have captured the imagination of the PFYs one sees in the Jugend photos ;-)

I have one of those pix BTW - reading the faces of this small band of loosers, almost tells us enough.. (wish I had a scanner, about 3x a year).

Yes of course it's Adolf.. Adolf.. Adolf.. Adolf.. {sigh}

Bad Finger.
I also type 'ususally' usually... and we think we're sentient: it's a Machine dammit!
Mousse-olini ... the happy chocolate-flavored dictator with unruly hair. (er, before he lost it)
New Well, since you ask...
Ashton asks:
Now can either of us spel, Iosip Vissarionovich Djugashvili right?
Well, up here (or rather, over in Sweden), we actually transcribe it Josif Visarionovitsj Djugaszvili, but that's probably just one of those "Peking/Beijing/Whatever" things you get when even the alphabets are different...

(or am I mixing up Tito AND Stalin..?)
Could be; mr Broz's first name was Josip with a 'p', and I've never seen that for mr Djugaszvili.

"Steel" indeed - at least Stalin's moniker sorta 'meant' something!
I've heard it also means "Hammer" (as in "and sickle")? Dunno, though -- but even if that's wrong, I suppose the association between hammer and steel is close enough for goverment work...

WTF might 'Hitler' sorta mean, homonymically speaking?
That, I actually happen to know. Adolf's papa, Alois (by all accounts a sadistic bastard who probably made Adolf the monster he became), took it from his mother's side of the family (before Adolf was born IIRC, so it's not as if he ever was anything but a Hitler; just that he "ought to have been"). Dunno why Alois did that; maybe he didn't get on well with his Dad, either...

Anyway, there were indeed a bunch of near-homonyms in how the name had been spelled before that (perhaps not too surprising, among the rural near-illiterates generations before Alois and Adolf): "Hidler", "Hiedler", and... "Hütler". Again, this vowel change is not surprising if you've ever heard how the "Ü" sound is actually pronounced in the southern German dialects (Austrian, Bavarian, my own Swabian, and "Schwyzerdütsch" or Swiss German)... It kind of glides over into a long 'i' (ObEng: 'ee') sound.

So the prevailing opinion among researchers (at least it was so a decade or two ago, when I read about all this) is that Alois' mother, little Adolf's Granny, came from a family named for their work, like Müller and Schmidt (Miller and Smith) -- that she was descended from a line of makers of hüte, hats.

"Hitler", apparently, means "hat-maker".

Also Shiklgruber sans an ü :-\ufffd
Yes, but actually there's a couple of 'c's in "Schicklgruber"... :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Danke
Ah - thanks for the variants on the \ufffd sound.. now makes sense of some pronunciations I've heard of say, f\ufffdhrer that sounded more like 'f\ufffdee-rer'. So it's your version of Soth'rn dialect hereabouts.

Schickelgruber. whew. I should have gotten that from the ubiquitous 'Schick' of razor fame; obviously not an immigrant from Barcelona. :(

On another note - sign seen in a submarine, F\ufffdhrer Befiehl Wir Folgen (not sure of the h - maybe said 'befiel'?) which I took to mean: The Leader Wills; We Follow. Close enough?

I wonder.. if Harry Truman ever heard that derivation, 'hatmaker' (he, briefly, of the haberdasher trade, a common diss of the day). Should have brought a chuckle:

End of WW-II: a haberdasher fought a hatmaker er haberdasher too !! Cackle.

Well CRC, it's a dirty job but.. some of us have to try to rescue language from the admen and televangelists. Why?
..because it's There

and Confucius warned us what happens if we Don't..
New Nah, that's an imperative I think; an exhortation...
...to the Führer to, uhm, Führen: "Leader, command [us]! -- we'll follow" (or, "...obey").

Expressing their willingness to be led. Kind'a like sheep, bleating "Fleece us! Fleece us!"...
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Of course.. that fits! __Slogans beneath the sea _\ufffd0o\ufffdo
     Neo-Nazi stats, Andrei Codrescu, and NPR - (Ashton) - (9)
         read Gehlen's autobiography - (boxley)
         good page bookmarked, thanx -NT - (boxley)
         It's Adolf with an f, dammit. -NT - (CRConrad) - (6)
             Phhhhht! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Bad-finger: I Know that, dammit! :[ - (Ashton) - (4)
                 Well, since you ask... - (CRConrad) - (3)
                     Danke - (Ashton) - (2)
                         Nah, that's an imperative I think; an exhortation... - (CRConrad) - (1)
                             Of course.. that fits! __Slogans beneath the sea _\ufffd0o\ufffdo -NT - (Ashton)

I'm into you like an undersized thong.
89 ms