My library had a weekly internal newsletter for years called "the Broadside." A colleague recently dug up the April Fool's issue, "the Backside," from thirty years ago this month. Most of it was bad attempts to be funny, like defending our rapidly growing research collections about the Zimbabwe fruit fly (most comprehensive collection south of Stockton). One article was notable, not for its humor, but for the fact that it such were written today, the author would be fired.

Student Spotlight

Copy Service would to shine the Student Spotlight on their very own S——. In the two years since she joined the third floor unit, S—— has provided countless moments of pleasure for patrons who never suspected the full compliment of "services" a modern library can provide at a low cost. She's also done some copying.

Drawing upon her Swiss and Japanese heritage, S—— has been able to offer a number of exotic techniques to patrons, many of which even her supervisors were unaware of. The string of pearls was an interesting idea, but the trick with the mayonnaise and rope left all involved totally dumbfounded. And her antics with the ironing board and water pick are quickly becoming legend.

All who've worked with her agree that there is no way to duplicate S—— subtle (supple?) charm, and the thought of her eventually leaving the job to follow her vocation full time has inspired some innovations in the Copy Service set-up. Henceforward, when the unit is officially closed at 4p.m., a sign will be posted at the door that reads simply "S——'s". She will be open for business until midnight every night the Library is.

Back in the day, I'd roll my eyes whenever a sanctimonious campus denizen would utter the letters pee cee in earnest. Thankfully, it has since all but expired as a meme. But holy shit, I never thought that this place would call a student a whore, even in jest. The name in the piece above has been redacted, but it was full first and last name in the original. I have it on good authority from someone who worked here at the time that she was a real and unusually attractive student worker.