IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Sorry, no
no Powershell stuff. None of my past employers used it; or, at least not in the sections of the department where I was at.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New It would be good for you to learn
It is rapidly becoming table stakes for "Yeah, I know Windows well enough for you to pay me".

Plus it's actually pretty groovy - fully object-oriented, hooks you up with .NET and WMI and COM stuffs. You'll probably enjoy learning it, if you're the inquisitive sort.

New Wowzers, I've been lucky...
I've had about 2 months of Windows work in the last 2 and a half years. I wrote a script compiler to create the input for the stuff I put in a handheld device. The rest has been rather low level embedded C. Cool...
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New may be worth my time to take a look
automating manual systems checks is what I do a lot of these days. Have seen a couple of pf1 script that build some nifty forms.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New It is a flea ridden dog
I use it for back-end work on our nebulous Outlook 365 instance.

They went out of their way to come up with the most tortured syntax of any scripting language out there. Using -parameter styling for everything, including the boolean operators, gets very tiring very soon. And only popular properties have command parameters. Good luck getting/setting the rest. At best, it makes the code hard to maintain. Also, because a command sports a certain parameter does not mean that property exists on the object, or is accessible. It is up to you to crash into those.

Pipes don't work as it says on the tin. i.e. you should be able to do things like

get-mailbox -filter {foo} | set-mailbox -customattribute1 bar

but the set can't get to get's iterated object. So you have to assign the first part to a variable, which causes all the mailboxes to be downloaded to the local PC, then back. Fantastic, if you have all day.

New Yikes. But not surprising. :-/
New So where do you put it on the resume?
Since none of my past employers have used it in anything that I've touched, I can't honestly list it as a skill used at a past employer. I could put it on the cover letter, but job sites say that less than 1 out of 3 cover letters get read by the hiring manager.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
New Under skill set.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New In my experience
the hiring managers don't look at that area, even when it's right near the top.

lincoln - (boxley) - (9)
         Sorry, no - (lincoln) - (8)
             It would be good for you to learn - (pwhysall) - (7)
                 Wowzers, I've been lucky... - (hnick)
                 may be worth my time to take a look - (boxley) - (2)
                     It is a flea ridden dog - (scoenye) - (1)
                         Yikes. But not surprising. :-/ -NT - (Another Scott)
                 So where do you put it on the resume? - (lincoln) - (2)
                     Under skill set. -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                         In my experience - (lincoln)

Kinda I want to.
72 ms