IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The tools have definitely gotten better, then
I actually worked on two different DB abstraction classes for PHP before the PEAR one was good enough to switch to it. Now, that's one of those things that you'd be a fool to write yourself.

Of course, that just abstracts the connections and the basic operations. You still write your own SQL.
--

Drew
New PHP ORMs are execrable.
We used Doctrine here... terrible.

I've been using the Django ORM for years, since 2009 or so. It hasn't changed much... PHP is just full of crap libraries, IMO.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Only PHP library I care about now is WordPress
Yeah, it's a beast, but it does most of what I need.
--

Drew
New This is unfortunately true.
Back when PEAR was in its infancy, I looked at what was on offer and all were shit. I wrote my own DB handler and my own ORM on top of it. Have re-implemented both a few times at successive jobs.

I wold posit that many PHP programmers just don't really understand how to write scalable, memory-efficient code. Sometimes you just can't give your script 2Gb of memory.

Wade.
     Interesting - (lincoln) - (31)
         Re: Interesting - (malraux) - (1)
             Re: Interesting - (lincoln)
         SQL snobbery - (static) - (22)
             Temp tables is my bet. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                 Re: Temp tables is my bet. - (malraux) - (5)
                     Setting up temp tables correctly can be difficult. - (static)
                     If you guys say "table" one more time... - (pwhysall) - (3)
                         :-) -NT - (scoenye)
                         Only an uns*table* person would think of it! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                         Ahh.. The Green Table, then: you're a balletomane.. -NT - (Ashton)
             Here is the easiest question I've received on SQL - (lincoln) - (14)
                 Re: Here is the easiest question I've received on SQL - (malraux) - (13)
                     deal_1_par_amount, deal_2_par_amount not displayed - (lincoln) - (1)
                         Re: deal_1_par_amount, deal_2_par_amount not displayed - (malraux)
                     FWIW I hate overly-terse table names like that - (drook) - (10)
                         Eh. - (malraux) - (9)
                             Ignorant question - (drook) - (8)
                                 I use Django's ORM these days - (malraux) - (7)
                                     The tools have definitely gotten better, then - (drook) - (3)
                                         PHP ORMs are execrable. - (malraux) - (2)
                                             Only PHP library I care about now is WordPress - (drook)
                                             This is unfortunately true. - (static)
                                     Newbie ORM question. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                         Depends on the ORM, naturally - (malraux) - (1)
                                             Thanks. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Well, they didn't like my using tables - (lincoln) - (5)
             Unlucky - (pwhysall)
             Re: "more technical" - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                 Oh, it gets even better - (lincoln) - (2)
                     I've taken coding tests for executive positions - (malraux)
                     I used to be on the other side - (crazy)

It's like there's nothing you can do about that joke. It's coming and you just have to stand there.
104 ms