IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Temp tables is my bet.
Probably... temp tables can be performance killers, except when they aren't.

I use a temp table only if the thing I'm doing is complex enough that the query optimizer can't handle it correctly, or if I'm reusing the results of an expensive query repeatedly.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Setting up temp tables correctly can be difficult.
At least in MySQL it is where there is a distinct permission for creating temporary tables but not for modifying them (such as adding keys). :-/ If the only permissions you have are Select and Create Temporary Table, you have to create a temporary table, index it and fill it with data all in one statement.

That said, I am usually willing to explore options that require post-processing of the data. Some database programmers don't like that.

Wade.
New If you guys say "table" one more time...
...particularly if you're looking in the mirror, he will appear.

And tablize your face.
New :-)
New Only an uns*table* person would think of it! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Ahh.. The Green Table, then: you're a balletomane..
     Interesting - (lincoln) - (31)
         Re: Interesting - (malraux) - (1)
             Re: Interesting - (lincoln)
         SQL snobbery - (static) - (22)
             Temp tables is my bet. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                 Re: Temp tables is my bet. - (malraux) - (5)
                     Setting up temp tables correctly can be difficult. - (static)
                     If you guys say "table" one more time... - (pwhysall) - (3)
                         :-) -NT - (scoenye)
                         Only an uns*table* person would think of it! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                         Ahh.. The Green Table, then: you're a balletomane.. -NT - (Ashton)
             Here is the easiest question I've received on SQL - (lincoln) - (14)
                 Re: Here is the easiest question I've received on SQL - (malraux) - (13)
                     deal_1_par_amount, deal_2_par_amount not displayed - (lincoln) - (1)
                         Re: deal_1_par_amount, deal_2_par_amount not displayed - (malraux)
                     FWIW I hate overly-terse table names like that - (drook) - (10)
                         Eh. - (malraux) - (9)
                             Ignorant question - (drook) - (8)
                                 I use Django's ORM these days - (malraux) - (7)
                                     The tools have definitely gotten better, then - (drook) - (3)
                                         PHP ORMs are execrable. - (malraux) - (2)
                                             Only PHP library I care about now is WordPress - (drook)
                                             This is unfortunately true. - (static)
                                     Newbie ORM question. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                         Depends on the ORM, naturally - (malraux) - (1)
                                             Thanks. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Well, they didn't like my using tables - (lincoln) - (5)
             Unlucky - (pwhysall)
             Re: "more technical" - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                 Oh, it gets even better - (lincoln) - (2)
                     I've taken coding tests for executive positions - (malraux)
                     I used to be on the other side - (crazy)

The Doctor is IN.
113 ms